Premed 101 Forums

2015 Backpack Colour Voting

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm excited to get a backpack! I hear that premeds are eager to hold the door for you if you're wearing one!

If that is true, it is hilarious. Please tell me that there isn't some premed hero worship nonsense sort of stuff that goes on. No experience with that at my school (no med students!)

REALLY? :) I kept thinking buying coffee would be in the reverse hierarchy where the youngest ones must treat the next up in line. 

Lol, nope! Residents and staff remember what it was like to be a poor med student with debt. Medicine is nice that way and coffee buying is a pay-it-forward type of thing.

Lol, nope! Residents and staff remember what it was like to be a poor med student with debt. Medicine is nice that way and coffee buying is a pay-it-forward type of thing.

the lowest positions in the hierarchy are doing annoying tasks that help the higher ups - and in particular help make the staff serious coin. It is definitely a pay it forward approach :)

That has to be such a weird feeling. Top of the pack (more or less) on campus, bottom of the pyramid at the hospital.

Yeah, it's really odd. I feel so accomplished when I'm in med sci / main campus... then I walk across the bridge to University Hospital and immediately feel like I'm on the bottom rung of the ladder. Although the nurses/other health professionals seem to give a lot of respect to med students, which is nice. Despite being in first year, the nursing staff was really quick to act on requests I made for an ER patient I was seeing. 

Yeah, it's really odd. I feel so accomplished when I'm in med sci / main campus... then I walk across the bridge to University Hospital and immediately feel like I'm on the bottom rung of the ladder. Although the nurses/other health professionals seem to give a lot of respect to med students, which is nice. Despite being in first year, the nursing staff was really quick to act on requests I made for an ER patient I was seeing.

I have so many nurses in my family (and currently work for a nurse) that I've been advised repeatedly that the key to a happy life as a med student is to respect the nurses.

I have so many nurses in my family (and currently work for a nurse) that I've been advised repeatedly that the key to a happy life as a med student is to respect the nurses.

Because they deserve respect! They know way more than us, for the most part, due to the fact that some have been around the block and they spend all shift with the patients, whereas we spend a few minutes with them. I don't understand when med students/clerks/residents don't ask for nursing input or ignore all nursing concerns.

Staff have definitely given me their cafeteria cash cards to USE to buy coffee in exchange for my going to get it.  But they laugh at you if you offer to buy them coffee.  Although if I'm obviously going for coffee, I usually still ask if anybody wants anything just to be polite.

You should see the debates we get into about the colour every year  :)    The selection process is very rigorous.

Its more fun watching your comments and reactions though.... 

PLEASE PLEASE pick TEAL! (Although I imagine the bags have already been manufactured...)

I'm so bored of things that are coded masculine being considered gender neutral, but things coded feminine can only ever be feminine. It's okay to have a blue backpack but heaven forbid we impugn anyone's precious, fragile sense of masculinity with a pink one. 

Haha agreed. This comes up every year!

Double agreed. Can't wait for the year that this finally becomes a non-issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes. Don't ever disregard this. This remains true for residents, fellows and staff. 

If you foolishly ignore this your life shall become exponentially less pleasant. ;)

Archived