Premed 101 Forums

No Summer Positions

Hi guys, 

I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what I should do this summer (May-August) since I did not receive any summer positions? (I just finished first year undergrad.)

I know it's superrrr late considering it's half way through May, but right now, all I have planned for summer is an online stats course that I'm taking, and volunteering a bit here and there. 

Try to involve yourself in some aspect of volunteering that you would enjoy continuing during the academic year, thereby showing commitment and other qualities. Examples might be Big Brothers where you befriend and mentor a kid, being a role model, become involved in kids' sports, working in a seniors home, etc. failing that paid employment is good, doing customer service where you need to deal with angry customers, anything where you learn and demonstrate CanMEDS competencies.

There are a million cool things that you can do in the summer. 

One good place to check is government jobs or programs (search websites for all levels of government). For example, here are some cool things you could do: https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc.ca/psrs-srfp/applicant/page1800?poster=244771

Or move to Paris, get a job there, improve your French. 

Oh man, I wish I had more of an imagination and sense of adventure back when I had the freedom to do this type of thing!

Archived