Premed 101 Forums

Where Will You Be Accepting?

I'm assuming you mean for PT -- if so I don't think I'm going to choose Mac so you'll probably move up a spot in a few days!

I think I've eliminated Queens. Now am deciding between U of T and Western.

I am waitlisted at Mac (#3). I'm assuming my current offers will expire before I hear back from Mac about waitlist movement? Anyone know?

I got accepted to Western, Mac and Queens, waitlisted at UofT (all OT). I think I'm going to choose McMaster, but I'm not sure and I'm so glad this thread came up so I can try to learn some more!

I contacted someone who is in her second year at McMaster OT and here's what she said about the PBL:

The Problem Based Tutorials (PBT) are a main component of every term and are based on Problem Based Learning (PBL), which is the theory behind it. What you need to know about PBT is really exactly what it says - you are learning based on problems that are provided t oyou.

For instance, each week in your tutorial group you choose a case scenario from a list provided and work as a group to identify the main issues or concerns for teh individual or organization, develop goals or objectives for personal learning and group learning, and then do independent research to bring back to group the following week. I like the model in that you are working through real cases that would be found in practice (e.g. a person with a new spinal cord injury on a rehabilitation unit).

I have found that it is a good forum to not only learn practical skills for practice but also develop better interpersonal and collaborative skills as you must work with your team to make all decisions. Additionally, there is a lot of room for feedback so you begin to understand how your learning style and perspective is different from others which has been helpful in not only understanding colleagues but also learning how to best communicate your ideas clearly.

Mac isn't your school if you are looking for someone to give you the answers. It is actually quite frustrating at first because you don't even know what you don't know in the beginning, but it becomes more clear as you move forward. You definitely need to be okay with uncertainty and be flexible because I found that graduate school in general was quite a bit different than undergrad in addition to PBL.

The idea of PBL kind of terrifies me because school has never been like that before, it's always been classrooms and lectures, etc. But that's also why I kind of love it. I know I'll have a tough time at first and it will be scary, but I think I will gain so much more from it than a regular lecture setting. Because in the real world, in our careers, we won't be handed an answer - we have to figure it out. Being able to learn how to do this in a safe place like school I think is invaluable.

But I'm still not totally sure, I haven't looked enough into all the programs yet!

I totally agree, I really think that being forced to learn a different way will be a great asset in the future. I do think it will be a bit hard, but during interviews the students were telling me that there is a somewhat normal lecture setting as well, and that there's more of it in the beginning. I think that they try to ease you into it a bit. 

I've already accepted Mac, so maybe we'll be classmates! 

I grew up in London and went to Western. I lived at home, but I know housing in London is extremely affordable. Furthermore, if you move even further outside of campus and don't mind taking the bus itll be even cheaper.

I was surprised how cheap the housing is in London and how easy it is to find a nice place.

Congrats Cashmere, 

I was accepted to Western and Queens for OT.

I'm also very lost about which to pick. I live in Mississauga and for both I would have to move. To be honest financially this isn't the best option, I would have loved to have been accepted to Mac or UofT.

So if anyone could comment about which university has cheaper housing, better social life...etc 

I found a nice house 3km from campus for $500.  There are so many places that are really affordable

I've been accepted to U of T and Mac, waitlisted at Western - I'm pretty sure I'm going to be accepting U of T!

Reasons:

1. I live in the GTA and would prefer to save money on housing since I already went away for my undergrad. I also won't need to buy a car to get to placements, which might be the case in other cities. 

2. During the CAP/MMI, I talked to some current students and found out that McMaster doesn't do cadaver dissections while U of T and Western do. I don't know how much this matters to most people, but personally it's something I'm so excited to be able to do, and I think that the hands-on anatomy learning experience will be really valuable (and cool)!! 

3. I'm on the fence about PBL. I know people who go to mac and they say it's an adjustment at first, but in the end they love it. It's not for everyone though, and I'm not sure if it's for me. I guess you can't know until you try it. 

4. I'm really interested in neuro, and I hear that U of T has more neuro/cardioresp focus than other schools (I doubt it's a huge difference though if it's true). 

I'm not really factoring in Western at this point because I'm on the waitlist, and U of T was my first choice even before I found out I got accepted.

For anyone considering Western though I can tell you what I know about the school in general from doing my undergrand there. I know I'm biased but it truly is a great school in terms of social atmosphere. London is a university town so it's a great place to live as a student - there's lots to do . I lived in an apartment that was a 10-15 min walk to most of my classes for $550 a month, but if you go a little farther from campus (eg. 10-15min bus ride) you can pay as low as $400 in a shared house. I know one person in the PT program and she says the profs are all really great, but it's a tough program (probably true at any school). She also said Western might be more musculoskeletal focused. 

Sorry this got really long but hopefully it helps! 

Hey michmich,

Firstly, congratulations on your acceptances! Secondly, great choice! All the programs are excellent, and I know I'm biased, but U of T is just incredible.

I am a current first year PT student at U of T. I saw your comment and thought I would weigh in:

1. That's really convenient that you already live in the GTA. You likely won't need a car for placements, but bear in mind that the U of T catchment goes as far as Barrie/Collingwood to Oakville. You pick your top 10 choices, and it's a lottery system, so if all your choices have already been taken by other students, you get second rounded. Sometimes third rounded.The odds that you will get placed out there are slim, but it could happen lol. I know it was an option for our most recent placement, but I didn't hear if anyone actually had to go to Collingwood or not. Either way, it's just something to be aware of :) Most(maybe~85%) are in the downtown core

2. Anatomy labs work like this: 4 students are assigned to one cadaver. 2 students work on the left side, 2 on the right. Labs are not mandatory, so some people choose not to show up. I really recommend going because the exams are bellringers, and you really need to be in the lab to be able to do well. Also, there is a really cool anatomy museum with AMAZING specimens so you can see incredible detail that you wouldn't be able to get to in lab. I'd recommend studying in there every once in a while. All in all, dissections are what you make of them. If you prepare in advance and follow the instructions to a tee, you will do great. The TA's are AMAZING and really help guide your understanding of anatomy. Another cool thing is that we get a "bone box" that students are able to take home to study bony surfaces and muscle attachment sites. I'm not sure if the other schools do this, but it is such a great resource to have when you are studying.

3. From what I understand, Mac PT's become better problem solvers (which is an essential trait that all PT's must possess) due to the nature of their program. I agree with you, you never know if you like it until you try. But if you don't end up liking it, it's going to be a looooong 2 yrs. However, skills that PT's need take time to develop, and in my opinion, they come around when you are doing placements.

4. I've heard we have the largest focus on cardioresp than other schools (not sure if that's true), but I never heard anything about neuro. Here is the breakdown of the schedule:

- Cardioresp unit: September to mid-December.

- The first MSK unit: mid-December to mid-April (we get a 3 week intro placement in February).

- 5 week placement in cardioresp or MSK, which is determined by alphabetical order of your last name

- Neuro: late May to late September (but we get 3 weeks off in August).

- Then 2 back to back placements from September to December.

- Advanced MSK unit that starts after Christmas break and runs until April or May, and then I believe a 5 week placement follows that.

That's all I can remember offhand, but you can also go to the U of T website and find a nicely laid out schedule :P

Classes start off pretty great 10am-2pm, 9am-3pm...but as you progress through the program, the days get longer lol.

To be honest, I really wanted to go to Mac but I didn't get in. I was so upset about having to go to U of T, but it's been a fantastic experience and I am so happy that things worked out this way. I really recommend U of T to anyone because Toronto has so many incredible opportunities for placements (there are tons of hospitals within a 10 min walking distance from campus). The teaching staff are AMAZING! It's not like undergrad where profs may fail you without giving it a second thought - the staff here actually make an effort to get to know you (they will know everyone's names pretty quickly), and they know how hard you've worked to get to U of T and want to keep you here!! Additionally, we have to do interprofessional seminars which allow us to become familiar with other health professions to prepare us to work in hospitals. I know coming in to PT, a lot of people expect to work in an outpatient clinic, but hospital jobs are amazing and in my opinion, so much more rewarding. Anyways, sorry for my novel, I just thought this info might help students with their choices. If anyone has any questions about U of T, shoot me a message and I will try to answer it or refer you to someone who can help.

Enjoy the long weekend and I will see you in the Fall ;)

Hey guys

I've been a accepted to U of A, and waitlisted at western and UBC (all OT). Just wondering if anyone could provide feedback about any of the schools in case I do get off the waitlist. I see lots of feedback regarding ON schools, but not much about the schools out west.

Thanks in advance !

I'm in the same boat too. Torn between McMaster and U of T (OT) here. 

I was pretty impressed by McMaster's atmosphere during the interview process. But I'm a little hesitant about the whole PBL model. Although I respect such teaching methodology, I actually prefer structures (just my personal preference). 

I am leaning towards U of T because I did my undergrad there (wonderful experience), and because of their wide placement opportunities. But the housing expenses of living in downtown is definitely cons!  

Hey guys quick question: To accept offer on ORPAS what is the difference between firm accept and provisional accept? Thanks in advance!

A firm accept = you are removed off all other schools Waitlists

Provisional = allows you to accept a school but gives you until June 5 to get a chance at a waitlist offer at another school

June 5th: your provisional offer will become firm

A firm accept = you are removed off all other schools Waitlists

Provisional = allows you to accept a school but gives you until June 5 to get a chance at a waitlist offer at another school

June 5th: your provisional offer will become firm

Does provisional also keep your other acceptances valid?

Hey michmich,

Firstly, congratulations on your acceptances! Secondly, great choice! All the programs are excellent, and I know I'm biased, but U of T is just incredible.

I am a current first year PT student at U of T. I saw your comment and thought I would weigh in:

1. That's really convenient that you already live in the GTA. You likely won't need a car for placements, but bear in mind that the U of T catchment goes as far as Barrie/Collingwood to Oakville. You pick your top 10 choices, and it's a lottery system, so if all your choices have already been taken by other students, you get second rounded. Sometimes third rounded.The odds that you will get placed out there are slim, but it could happen lol. I know it was an option for our most recent placement, but I didn't hear if anyone actually had to go to Collingwood or not. Either way, it's just something to be aware of :) Most(maybe~85%) are in the downtown core

2. Anatomy labs work like this: 4 students are assigned to one cadaver. 2 students work on the left side, 2 on the right. Labs are not mandatory, so some people choose not to show up. I really recommend going because the exams are bellringers, and you really need to be in the lab to be able to do well. Also, there is a really cool anatomy museum with AMAZING specimens so you can see incredible detail that you wouldn't be able to get to in lab. I'd recommend studying in there every once in a while. All in all, dissections are what you make of them. If you prepare in advance and follow the instructions to a tee, you will do great. The TA's are AMAZING and really help guide your understanding of anatomy. Another cool thing is that we get a "bone box" that students are able to take home to study bony surfaces and muscle attachment sites. I'm not sure if the other schools do this, but it is such a great resource to have when you are studying.

3. From what I understand, Mac PT's become better problem solvers (which is an essential trait that all PT's must possess) due to the nature of their program. I agree with you, you never know if you like it until you try. But if you don't end up liking it, it's going to be a looooong 2 yrs. However, skills that PT's need take time to develop, and in my opinion, they come around when you are doing placements.

4. I've heard we have the largest focus on cardioresp than other schools (not sure if that's true), but I never heard anything about neuro. Here is the breakdown of the schedule:

- Cardioresp unit: September to mid-December.

- The first MSK unit: mid-December to mid-April (we get a 3 week intro placement in February).

- 5 week placement in cardioresp or MSK, which is determined by alphabetical order of your last name

- Neuro: late May to late September (but we get 3 weeks off in August).

- Then 2 back to back placements from September to December.

- Advanced MSK unit that starts after Christmas break and runs until April or May, and then I believe a 5 week placement follows that.

That's all I can remember offhand, but you can also go to the U of T website and find a nicely laid out schedule :P

Classes start off pretty great 10am-2pm, 9am-3pm...but as you progress through the program, the days get longer lol.

To be honest, I really wanted to go to Mac but I didn't get in. I was so upset about having to go to U of T, but it's been a fantastic experience and I am so happy that things worked out this way. I really recommend U of T to anyone because Toronto has so many incredible opportunities for placements (there are tons of hospitals within a 10 min walking distance from campus). The teaching staff are AMAZING! It's not like undergrad where profs may fail you without giving it a second thought - the staff here actually make an effort to get to know you (they will know everyone's names pretty quickly), and they know how hard you've worked to get to U of T and want to keep you here!! Additionally, we have to do interprofessional seminars which allow us to become familiar with other health professions to prepare us to work in hospitals. I know coming in to PT, a lot of people expect to work in an outpatient clinic, but hospital jobs are amazing and in my opinion, so much more rewarding. Anyways, sorry for my novel, I just thought this info might help students with their choices. If anyone has any questions about U of T, shoot me a message and I will try to answer it or refer you to someone who can help.

Enjoy the long weekend and I will see you in the Fall ;)

Wow thanks so much for all the info!! It sounds like a great program, can't wait! See you in september  :D

Accepted to UBC and UOttawa for OT. Completely torn as to which I am going to go to though! The programs are so different in almost every way (except that they both have 5 practicums, which is nice). I keep thinking that I would be crazy to turn down a chance at living in Vancouver, however UOttawa would give me more chance to improve my French and the option to complete a thesis, which appeals to my academic aspirations. Also I am from Western Canada, so it might be a fun adventure to live for two years farther east. I D K.

Congrats to everyone else who has been accepted!

does anyone know how the placements differ between schools for OT? Do some schools have more hours of placements than others, and is it easier to get placements out of province at certain schools? (I'm specifically interested in Dal where I was accepted, and Queens & UBC where I am waitlisted)

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

does anyone know how the placements differ between schools for OT? Do some schools have more hours of placements than others, and is it easier to get placements out of province at certain schools? (I'm specifically interested in Dal where I was accepted, and Queens & UBC where I am waitlisted)

I would just go with your gut! Really all the schools are great, I don't think you can go wrong. Maybe do some research on the schools and see where you think you fit best! You should accept dal incase the waitlists don't move though! Good luck !

Hi! I'm heading for Dal OT, and from what I've read 2 of your placements must be within the Nova Scotia area, and your last 2 placements are more flexible. However it is my understanding that this is pretty standard - as with most schools your first placements are at a time where you still need to be on campus? 

Edit to add: as far as choosing different schools goes, perhaps look up teaching styles, etc and see which is the best fit for you. I would also consider which schools required which prerequisites and what their requirements are, as that may give you an idea of the type of class you'll be with (for example, Western does not have pre-requisites, but UofA does). Just a thought!

I don't know if that helps at all, but if you choose to head to Dal let me know! I'm anxious to meet fellow classmates!

Archived