Premed 101 Forums

For Them Waitlisters

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the past facebook groups, the class of 2019 is around 100 short of the other classes of 2017,2018 etc. I don't know if that's false hope or me just being hopeful but maybe there may still be some movement. Fingers crossed :)

It's possible for sure! But careful with theories about that, just knowing from being in the groups that a lot of upper year students also get added to the groups so they can offer advice, answer questions, etc. So the numbers aren't necessarily a representation of the number of admitted students so far. That said, I can't imagine all the offers have gone out yet given the forms were just due in on the 24th. I was in touch with Wendy on Tuesday and she said there was tons of mail they were going through. And some people leave it quite late to respond because they have multiple offers and are torn (what an enviable position eh). Another point is that there have been very few people posting here about getting off the waitlist compared to previous years. I predict a wave it coming... maybe the delay is long weekend related... Hang in there guys, I feel for you huge. Fingers crossed

It's possible for sure! But careful with theories about that, just knowing from being in the groups that a lot of upper year students also get added to the groups so they can offer advice, answer questions, etc. So the numbers aren't necessarily a representation of the number of admitted students so far. That said, I can't imagine all the offers have gone out yet given the forms were just due in on the 24th. I was in touch with Wendy on Tuesday and she said there was tons of mail they were going through. And some people leave it quite late to respond because they have multiple offers and are torn (what an enviable position eh). Another point is that there have been very few people posting here about getting off the waitlist compared to previous years. I predict a wave it coming... maybe the delay is long weekend related... Hang in there guys, I feel for you huge. Fingers 

Yeah, sorry if I mislead anyone! There are like 380 people in the 2019 group compared to around 480 in the other ones so it is definitely NOT just the actual class. But it gives me some hope because there likely is some space. :)

Either significantly more initial offers have been accepted this year or there is some kind of delay in sending out the bulk of the waitlist offers. Here's to hoping for the latter, I don't see why this year would be much different and there have also been a fair amount of people saying they would be declining on this forum alone...

Just wanted to mention that today is graduation for the leaving class so there might not be much activity today!

I wonder if the combination of that and the short week this week might be the reasoning for the lack of offers going out this week (maybe?) and hence the quietness on this thread? Wishful thinking!

Long-time lurker here so thought I would contribute...

Got an offer off the waitlist on May 25th at 12:19pm for Hamilton Campus!!

I'm so thrilled! 

Please hold out hope! I'm sure there are more coming. Best of luck to everyone.

This is anecdotal, but I personally know or know of 20+ people who have declined their offers. Unless I know the majority of people who declined their offer then I would guess there is more movement to come and I'm naturally a very pessimistic person.

Thanks to those who just contributed, really appreciate it. Question if you're still around - are they still emailing and asking if you're interested before sending the offer, or are they now sending the offer right away? If the former, what does the timestamp refer to?

Thanks to those who just contributed, really appreciate it. Question if you're still around - are they still emailing and asking if you're interested before sending the offer, or are they now sending the offer right away? If the former, what does the timestamp refer to?

If you'll accept my answer (I got in last Friday) and not for those who just contributed (not me) I'd be happy to answer.

Yes, they emailed and asked if I was interested before sending the offer.

My timestamp that I posted was the asking if I was interested e-mail. The official offer of admission e-mail came about 4 hours later for me.

Hey deepbluesky, congrats! Do you know where you're going yet?

Thanks :) Leaning towards Ottawa right now, but I won't make the final call until next week. I know other people are still deciding between waitlist offers too, so I'm sure there will still be some movement in June!

My timestamp was for the interested email. The official offer came 2h later.

Nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon  :)  [numbers based on the previous compilations by other members and info in the Accepted/Rejected/Waitlist thread and in page 4 of this one]

In 2015 - approximately 23 members received offers off the waitlist.  

• 3 of these 23 offers were before the initial deadline. 
  • 20 of these 23 offers were after the deadline. 
  •  ---- 5 of these offers were in June (the week following the initial offer deadline).  

Currently for 2016, it appears that 13 members have received waitlist offers this year

• 7 of these offers were before the initial deadline (May 24)
  • 6 of these offers were after. 

Assuming the waitlist offers remain approximately constant year over year, and that the number of members posting their results are not significantly different - there's still reason to be optimistic!   Hopefully a few of us will receive these end-of-May/June offers! B)

Assuming the waitlist offers remain approximately constant year over year

they don't unfortunately. that's why schools tend to not release waitlist data. I think last year the extent of the waitlist movement was more of an exceptional year for mac.it can vary quite a bit year by year, which makes sense since you're not exactly dealing with an enormous sample size of people who receive offers.  people who have been on these forums for longer may be able to confirm...we'll see if there's a major wave to come later soon...

But hopefully there will be some declines and then there will be further offers!

Hah, at this point I think I've already given up. Didn't do too well in other interviews either, so I'm not expecting much from Mac.

For those interested. I received a waitlist offer today.

Have you decided between UBC and Mac yet?

Archived