Premed 101 Forums

Graduate Degree

It says in the OMSAS booklet that those you already have a masters is given +0.01 and those with phd will be given +0.04. Is this for GETTING an interview or after the interview process? Also, I don't understand what this extra point means. Is it like GPA? so going from 3.9 to 3.91 for masters and 3.9 to 3.94 for PhD?

ahh I believe that the grad policy is not in effect anymore - they just removed it. It used to add a 1 for a masters or 4 for phd to your score (out of a 100).

It's gone for the 2015 cycle.

And had it still be in effect, the PHD bonus would not mean a bump from 3.91 to 3.95 or something (+0.04). It would mean an extra 4 points to your total composite score. 

Say for GPA, mac basically takes your GPA, calculates a Z-score based on GPA of all applicants and the standard deviation, and then converts that Z-score into a score out of 33.33%. So I guess if you had the highest Z-score (a 4.0 GPA), you'd get the full 33.33% for that component. The PHD bonus would basically be an extra 4% on that scale. How much that's 4% bonus is "worth" in terms of GPA, who knows. 

Archived