Premed 101 Forums

What Is Everyone Doing To Prepare For School?

hi everyone!

i was accepted to the queen's pt program and am thrilled, but also want to make sure i'm as prepared as i can possibly be heading back into school after more than two years off.

i was wondering what others may be doing to prepare? for example, i'm doing an online physiology/anatomy course as a refresher.

any non-education-related preparation tips are also welcome!

thanks!

Hi! That's a really good question, I am also going back to school after being out for over a year. So excited!

I looked at the requirements for my program (OT uOttawa) and found there are a few things they need before starting placements. So I'm hoping to get started soon on things like getting a police check (could take up to 16 weeks), immunizations, CPR certification, N95 mask fitting, etc...

My program is in french and since that's my second language I'm also planning on taking some french courses over the summer to brush up on that (that probably doesn't apply to you). I'm going to be doing a lot of research on my own about the field throughout he summer as well.

You can never know enough before starting. Dunno if that helps much but I hope it gave you an idea :)

By the way just a question. Did you accept the offer on ORPAS? Or did you receive the mailed offer already? Just curious because everyone seems to be accepting offers but I haven't gotten my mail offer yet with the details. Thanks!!

hi OThopeful2015!

first off, i guess you'll need to change your name ;) (no longer a "hopeful").

and yes i did (firm) accept my offer on ORPAS. i also received an email from queen's regarding setting up my online account etc. i was very surprised to find a package from the school on the 15th in my mailbox! it had details on immunization and other information about the program - i'm sure uOttawa will do something similar to provide you the information you need.

so long as you received an offer by email you should be okay to accept the offer on ORPAS. you're given until the end of the month to respond, i believe, so you can wait and call or see if there's any other correspondence sent to you by e/mail before then.

good luck with your french courses!

I probably won't be preparing academically. I'm just going to make sure all my vaccinations and other things they require are in order well before September rolls around.

I'm honestly going to enjoy my summer and travel before I'm in school full time for 2 years again.

sleep sleep sleep! travel and enjoy the next four months because it'll fly by and the following two years will be a haul especially for you PT people!!!

I meant that to be a joke but it's also very true...

Aside from this, I was told to take some time to review anatomy and study them in advance as the program will throw us in the deep end waters right from the get go, having tests daily from the first week.

Again I think this is the time for us to do things we've always wanted to do with life, most of us will be doing our two years and begin our careers... then life just gets too real after that.

hi OThopeful2015!

first off, i guess you'll need to change your name ;) (no longer a "hopeful").

and yes i did (firm) accept my offer on ORPAS. i also received an email from queen's regarding setting up my online account etc. i was very surprised to find a package from the school on the 15th in my mailbox! it had details on immunization and other information about the program - i'm sure uOttawa will do something similar to provide you the information you need.

so long as you received an offer by email you should be okay to accept the offer on ORPAS. you're given until the end of the month to respond, i believe, so you can wait and call or see if there's any other correspondence sent to you by e/mail before then.

good luck with your french courses!

Thanks for the advice!! I think I'm going to wait to receive the mail admission then go from there. Good luck on your preparations! :)

Guys and girls...you don't have to study to prepare for studying what have you become lol

Go have some drinks and enjoy this beautiful weather..the graduation rate is around 99% and that's because people drop out to pursue other professions

https://www.brocku.ca/business/future/graduate/certificateprograms/pmpc

did a quick search on preparing for a professional masters program - this is what i found. an 8 month certificate program to prepare for school. granted, it's for international students...but still. thought i'd share since that seems like the ultimate "studying to prepare for studying" :P

https://www.brocku.ca/business/future/graduate/certificateprograms/pmpc

did a quick search on preparing for a professional masters program - this is what i found. an 8 month certificate program to prepare for school. granted, it's for international students...but still. thought i'd share since that seems like the ultimate "studying to prepare for studying" :P

Lmfaoooo

Btw is your Queen's email up and running or not yet?

Lmfaoooo

Btw is your Queen's email up and running or not yet?

no it's not ): says a mailbox can't be found...i'm thinking it'll take a bit longer because of the long weekend, but hopefully it'll be up and running soon! is yours working yet?

Yepp mine says the same thing! Supposed to be working within 24 hours though so hopefully tomorrow

The email Kathy Grant sent today said the email might not be activated until June 8, I believe?

I checked anyways and it's working for me now  :P

Just fyi!

The email Kathy Grant sent today said the email might not be activated until June 8, I believe?

I checked anyways and it's working for me now  :P

Just fyi!

sorry but could you guys fill me in? I haven't even fully accepted my offers as I'm still doing my research between Queens, Western and Mac.  How did you all get your student numbers and activate the email already?

sorry but could you guys fill me in? I haven't even fully accepted my offers as I'm still doing my research between Queens, Western and Mac.  How did you all get your student numbers and activate the email already?

the official offer of admission email sent on the 15th after Kathy's email has your student number at the very end of the email. if you're not sure if you're going to accept the offer, I'm not sure if you should set up the email account and everything yet..? I doubt they'll be sending anything important to that email until at least the majority of the class has been finalized.

I was attempting to relax and looking to travel (still may..hopefully!), but it seems I'm so anxious to start that I simply can't!! So...I borrowed the comprehensive textbook an OT I worked with had on hand and I've been reading it! But that's more for interest's sake. As far as real prep goes, I plan to review anatomy, as it's been a while since I've had to learn it.

So excited to start!!! September is so far away!

Archived