Premed 101 Forums

Quebec Applicants

Asking for a friend:

I'm not sure if Ottawa changed their minimum academic requirements for Quebec residents, but can an applicant with a CEGEP degree apply to the Med program after 1 year of undergraduate studies? 

A few years ago, I know a few people who got accepted after completing only 2 semesters of university after CEGEP (and therefore had 4 university semesters completed by the time they would start med school). Did the requirements change?

To my understanding, the OMSAS booklet states that all applicants must have completed at least 3 years of undergraduate studies before applying (CEGEP counting as 1). So does that mean that someone with a CEGEP degree needs to do 2 years of undergraduate studies before being eligible to apply? 

It used to be CEGEP + grades of 1 full year of university is enough. i.e. you are applying during your second year of university (as if you were a third year if you were from another province.)

Just email the adcom and tell us the official answer!

Students from a Quebec CEGEP cannot apply directly to the medical program of the University of Ottawa. CEGEP graduates must first complete an additional two-years of full-time undergraduate university studies to be able to apply for admission to the first year of the medical program. They also have to meet the afore mentioned requirements.

http://www.uottawa.ca/academic/info/regist/crs/0103/medEN/med-eng4.htm

• 2 weeks later...

To all interested, CEGEP students CAN apply at the beginning of their second year of University (in September/October). Therefore, you will have two university semesters completed at the time of application (total of four semesters completed before entering in Fall). Just make sure you have all the pre-requisites when you apply.

To all interested, CEGEP students CAN apply at the beginning of their second year of University (in September/October). Therefore, you will have two university semesters completed at the time of application (total of four semesters completed before entering in Fall). Just make sure you have all the pre-requisites when you apply.

Not even. You just need to make sure that you will have completed all of your prereqs before entering, if your were to get accepted. So when a CGEPian applies in September of their second year (= technically their third year because of their additional credits), its okay if he will complete his prereqs (like OrgoII and Biochem) after the application but, they need to be done before he gets accepted in June.

That's my situation right now and that's wht admissions told me :P

Archived