Premed 101 Forums

Does Saskatchewan Medical School Count More On Extracurricular Activities?

I am lack of extracurricular activities, i know they look for the well round students, but I heard Saskatchewan college of medicine focus on academic performance rather than EC, is it right? Comparing to the Manitoba, which is easier to get admission?

I don't know which is "easier" but the U of S will not formally ask about your extracurriculars in the application or interview. However, I will say that avoiding extracurriculars because you "don't need them" isn't a great way to try to get into medicine, even in SK, because in my personal opinion your extracurriculars shape who you are and provide you with valuable social experiences that could only benefit you in the interview process! So most of the people I know who got into SK had a reasonable amount of ECs anyway. Also, they require 3 academic references who you have worked for - this is a roundabout way of making sure you've done summer research or possibly TA-ing, and/or an honours research project (not sure if honours project counts but.. probably?). I would say at this point in time due to the changes in the U of S' admissions requirements (this year you need a 4 year degree, next year you need MCAT too) it will probably be less competitive. But once they get out of probation and have those admissions changes in effect for a couple years it will probably get a little more competitive again. Where you are IP is going to make the biggest difference in your chances.

Edit: Just to add, with the U of S you qualify for interview based strictly on GPA (and probably MCAT in future years now that it's required?). And then your MMI interview score makes up 60% of your final overall ranking as an applicant.

I don't know which is "easier" but the U of S will not formally ask about your extracurriculars in the application or interview. However, I will say that avoiding extracurriculars because you "don't need them" isn't a great way to try to get into medicine, even in SK, because in my personal opinion your extracurriculars shape who you are and provide you with valuable social experiences that could only benefit you in the interview process! So most of the people I know who got into SK had a reasonable amount of ECs anyway. Also, they require 3 academic references who you have worked for - this is a roundabout way of making sure you've done summer research or possibly TA-ing, and/or an honours research project (not sure if honours project counts but.. probably?). I would say at this point in time due to the changes in the U of S' admissions requirements (this year you need a 4 year degree, next year you need MCAT too) it will probably be less competitive. But once they get out of probation and have those admissions changes in effect for a couple years it will probably get a little more competitive again. Where you are IP is going to make the biggest difference in your chances.

Edit: Just to add, with the U of S you qualify for interview based strictly on GPA (and probably MCAT in future years now that it's required?). And then your MMI interview score makes up 60% of your final overall ranking as an applicant.

Isn't it 65% interview, 35% GPA? 

I will move to Saskatoon for undergraduate and become an IP resident. I am planning to enter med school. For extracurricular activities, I have been doing fitness for many years and I am planning on continuing this hobby in university. I have been only doing fitness as leisure and never taken it at a competitive level. I have never achieved any award in fitness, so does this count as sufficient EC for med school?

a lot of schools look for diversity. the issue with hobbies is they need to be verifiable (ie. someone that is also involved in the activity that can say, yup they did this). you can play guitar for years and years but unless you're in a band or do a gig, it's hard to put on the application. you can't exactly put down your mom as the person to say yeah you did it. i'd look into clubs at uni that focus on fitness, volunteer for fitness related events, etc. doing other things would be beneficial too. it doesn't have to be health related, but as long as you show that you're well rounded and pursue things outside of studying, you'll do okay.

I will move to Saskatoon for undergraduate and become an IP resident. I am planning to enter med school. For extracurricular activities, I have been doing fitness for many years and I am planning on continuing this hobby in university. I have been only doing fitness as leisure and never taken it at a competitive level. I have never achieved any award in fitness, so does this count as sufficient EC for med school?

The U of S is not asking for ECs at this time so if you're doing that... it might be irrelevant. But they've also been revamping their admissions process so I wouldn't be surprised if that changed in the next 4 years while you're doing your degree so it would be good to be prepared. Hobbies are great, but yeah I think they want things that are verifiable. You can become involved with campus rec if you're into fitness and health - they have volunteer and paid positions! Become a member of the pre-med students club, join the students association for your major, get on the exec of some of those clubs in your 3rd and 4th years (it's a ton of fun anyway!), pick something you would like to volunteer in (there's SWITCH - a medical clinic that students can volunteer at, or there's volunteering through the university library as a tutor or peer mentor, or big brothers big sisters, you name it! Pick something you really enjoy doing!). Also don't forget to try to land research positions in summer months - email profs early (like fall) to inquire about applying for scholarships and research summer positions (NSERC scholarship apps are due in early January and there are college of med undergrad student scholarships due in late Feb or March). It's really easy to do ECs if they're things you genuinely enjoy doing so push yourself out of your comfort zone and you'll make some friends, learn some skills, and have fun :)

Archived