Premed 101 Forums

Moving To London (Or Windsor I Guess)

Hey everyone, here's a question for you. 

For people moving to London or Windsor from elsewhere, how do you plan to move your stuff? I'm moving from Vancouver, which is decently far. Do you just sell everything and get new stuff, or do you ship it, or what? What do you guys plan to do, or if you've done that type of thing in the past, what worked and what was a bad idea? Looking forward to seeing y'all in August.

I went away I undergrad and so I generally bought second hand furniture and a couple new things and then sold it all when I left. If you're coming from as far as Vancouver it's probably not that efficient to bring anything big. Alternatively, find an already furnished apartment to live in!

If you are looking for furnished apartments, UWO offers some (Bayfield Hall and maybe Beaver and Lambton). Also there are the new Luxe condos that are quite nice but I think they only come in 2 bedrooms.

If you just want to buy furniture, it's probably best to just get secondhand stuff that students are getting rid of if you wanna keep your spending to a minimum.

If you are looking for furnished apartments, UWO offers some (Bayfield Hall and maybe Beaver and Lambton). Also there are the new Luxe condos that are quite nice but I think they only come in 2 bedrooms.

If you just want to buy furniture, it's probably best to just get secondhand stuff that students are getting rid of if you wanna keep your spending to a minimum.

Or you can be (slightly) irresponsible like me and go on an IKEA shopping spree! 

I have a slightly unhealthy love of Ikea and had been dreaming of said spree (literally everything in my two bedroom is from Ikea) for many years.  Twas very fulfilling. 

Also, I think whether to bring your old furniture/keep your furniture when you move is a personal thing.  I purposely bought not the cheapest stuff and will be taking most of it when (if) I move for residency because it's a comfort thing.  Costs more money, yes, but for some people it can contribute to mental well being to have familiar surroundings. :) 

Haha I went on an ikea shopping spree for my undergrad at Western but there's no IKEA in London so I had to bring everything from Toronto.

But fortunately for those going to London this upcoming year:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/windsor/ikea-to-open-its-first-pick-up-point-store-in-london-ont-1.3072258

Spend away!

Woah! :o I'm guessing they won't be doing assembly though. Damn. Will actually have to read the manual

I also did the Ikea spree. Shipping to London was pricey, but I think it was still easier than renting/borrowing a large vehicle and driving everything myself from Burlington. And I also got literally everything from there so my apartment was all furnished in the span of an afternoon (with the help of some family)! Pretty glad with the outcome.

Archived