Premed 101 Forums

How To Become An Mcat Instructor

meer

Hi,

For those of you who have taught the MCAT in a prep company (Princeton Review, Kaplan, Prep101), how was the application process?

I am considering being a MCAT instructor next year. Did you have to pass a benchmark exam similar to the MCAT to verify that you master the topic? Does the interview gauge your interpersonal skills, your academic knowledge, both? How is the training? What was the workload like? Is it manageable in first year med school (the premed year in Québec)?

Fyi, I got 37 on the old MCAT (14/12/11).

Thank you in advance for the tips!

I think most places will require a decent score, and then "try you out" to see how students are receptive to your teaching abilities. I'd gather that they are flexible in that, someone with even a low 30's would be able to potentially teach, as we all know just because you understand something yourself and score well ; doesn't necessarily translate to you being able to teach it to others.

I'm going to be teaching for TPR starting in a few days and these are my experiences so far:

I had to write a qualifying exam that was purely content and had to score at least a 70% on it to prove I have mastered the content. Then I did a phone interview (as the office is in Toronto and I live elsewhere). The phone interview included a 5 min or less "teach us something" with pre-approved topics given to you beforehand that you could select from. It was just to assess your interpersonal skills and affirm that you are not a weirdo and to educate you about compensation and training and such. Then they flew me down to Toronto to do 2 solid days of training. Arrived on a friday evening, had 4 hours that night, then went 8-5 with a 30 min lunch break and a couple ten minute breaks on the 2nd and 3rd days and flew home Sunday night. Training was HARDCORE and intense. You're evaluated - if you don't pass you've already signed a 2 year non compete and you won't be hired. It's essentially a 3 day interview. Both Sat and Sun you have to do a portion of a lecture and an in-class problem  teaching lesson and then you get feedback and you're told things you MUST fix by sunday to be hired. Now, where I'm from they're struggling to find teachers on time for my topic so I think they MAYBE went easy on me because they sort of HAD to hire me.... but if they had their pick of the litter it might have been even worse. I'm not the kind of person to blow something off just because I think it's a given, though, so I still worked hard for certification and did my best. I also have teaching experience so that helps. Honestly... even leading up to my first class I kind of have this sense of dread so I don't know if I'll do this again.

My main problem is ethical: I don't agree with how they teach the MCAT material all of the time, and I don"t agree with 2500$ prep classes in general and the philosophy that you can "pay for your MCAT mark" if you have the money. I also don't like how strict they are on teaching style. I have to do a lot of boardwork and theres no powerpoint or visual aids other than what I draw - I find it a little awkward and cringey. You also must teach in a "socratic method" which they have interpreted as a billion rapidfire bite-sized questions for the students. So you're drawing a diagram and asking them "Alex, what would be this label?" .."Right, so Jason, does that mean insulin is going up or going down?" etc. while also writing on the board at the same time. Its so hard to not make mistakes and to be thinking of questions and responding to other peoples answers. So it's a little nuts. But I think once I start teaching my own lectures I'll get into a groove. It's just a little stressful to completely change the way that you teach people. I guess I'm not completely changing but I prefer a more relaxed style and  don't necessarily want to do that much board work... especially since the room they got for my class has a chalkboard... Anyway that's my thoughts on it.

The workload would be really intense to teach your first class DURING med. I'm doing mine during summer so it isn't a huge deal... but if you had to do this while doing a full courseload it would be hell to prep all your lectures. Depends on your topic too - bio has the most content and most lectures (30 hours of teaching) so.... its a lot. If you do want to do it, though, they require a minimum 12 in the section you're going to teach and no minimum overall score but I can't imagine they want somebody teaching who got less than a 30 or so... They told us not to tell our students our MCAT score unless we got 35+ and to not tell them our scores in sections less than 12. I got 11/12/12 (PS/VR/BS) so I mean.. if my student's ask what I got on PS I'm not gonna lie, but I'm also not supposed to shout I GOT AN 11 ON PS on the first day or something haha. If you got an 11 in bio you wouldn't teach that. I can't speak to the other sections but it is a little bit less teaching. I think the new PS is only 5 or 6 lectures and CARMS is like 4.

Wow, sounds intense! Thank you so much for the extensive information mmd7!

I agree there are ethical issues to consider, but I'm interested in the teaching experience and this seems like the ideal setting for me (structured content, regular hours, relevant subjects to my field of study etc.) Do you think I won't be accepted in bio despite completing a Msc in Biology? I took the MCAT in my second year of undergrad so I was flimsier on my bio back then.

Good to know about that two-year non-compete clause.

Any other MCAT instructors who can pitch in?

meer - you have an excellent MCAT which will make you a strong candidate to teach. I would say it is a lot of initial work, but if you enjoy teaching it may be worth it. I have a great deal of teaching experience, but not directly related to the mcat, however I enjoy teaching. The hours you put in make you a better instructor - the standards are pretty high. Initially, I though it may help had I decided to rewrite the MCAT, but that won't be necessary. It takes time and depends on your other commitments. PM me for more details.

I agree there are ethical issues to consider, but I'm interested in the teaching experience and this seems like the ideal setting for me (structured content, regular hours, relevant subjects to my field of study etc.) Do you think I won't be accepted in bio despite completing a Msc in Biology? I took the MCAT in my second year of undergrad so I was flimsier on my bio back then.

Theres a possibility I guess depending on demand (if they already have tons of instructors with 13's and 14's or whatever they'd probably prefer you teach the phys/chem section) and if you can pass the content test then maybe? I guess you'd have to do up an application and see what positions they'll offer you! It is a good teaching experience and it really solidifies your knowledge in the content. Sometimes being pushed out of your comfort zone is a good thing which is why I decided to continue on and do it! I think I'm mostly just afraid of failing the people who are paying a lot of money to be taught by me, even though I know I am a competent teacher!

two year non-compete claus is for all teaching/tutoring related activities or just MCAT teaching/tutoring?

Just MCAT teaching and tutoring. You're totally allowed to continue working as  TA for courses and tutoring for other classes and stuff like that. The 2 year non compete is standard between the big exam prep companies - TPR, Kaplan, and I think EK. Although, as far as I know EK doesn't run its own classes but I think private companies can pay for a license to teach EK books or something.

Edit: just to add - be careful and THINK before you sign a 2 year non compete - they're iron clad and drafted by good lawyers and TPR has pursued people who break the non-compete. I know someone who signed it because it was their first job offer and wasn't able to take a job at a better rate of pay a week later because they didn't wait to see what other offers would come in.

If it helps, my TPR Bio instructor had a MSc in Biology and actually never even wrote the MCAT herself, so they do take those things into consideration when deciding if you'd be a good instructor or not. And this was in the GTA area, so I'm sure there wasn't a shortage of Bio instructors.

Just MCAT teaching and tutoring. You're totally allowed to continue working as TA for courses and tutoring for other classes and stuff like that. The 2 year non compete is standard between the big exam prep companies - TPR, Kaplan, and I think EK. Although, as far as I know EK doesn't run its own classes but I think private companies can pay for a license to teach EK books or something.

Edit: just to add - be careful and THINK before you sign a 2 year non compete - they're iron clad and drafted by good lawyers and TPR has pursued people who break the non-compete. I know someone who signed it because it was their first job offer and wasn't able to take a job at a better rate of pay a week later because they didn't wait to see what other offers would come in.

When you say they have persued people, what do you mean? Do they send threatening letters or have they issued and served claims on people/brought injunctions? It sounds more expensive than it's worth to go any further than a letter.

Hi everyone! 

I thought I might add to the topic if my experiences can be of any help or benefit. I've been an MCAT Instructor for TPR going on two years now! One of the best things about TPR is that you DO NOT have to have written the MCAT to be an MCAT instructor for this company. In fact, most of my colleagues have not even considered applying for medical school.  However, they are all experts in their fields! 

Thus, for those with a M. Sc. or PhD in a subject you would very likely more than qualify (academic wise) for the MCAT instruction at TPR. Of course, it is preferred to have taken the MCAT and have an interest in medicine, for outside of classes you can help benefit students with advice and guidance (I have found this to be the most rewarding part of the teaching experience with TPR).  It's really very exciting! 

However, it is a great deal of work to become certified (which is also good because it ensures you know your stuff!). You need to pass (at re-certification this year) with 80% on the test (but this could be for returning teachers and 70% may be the bar for a new teacher). You then need to go and train for 2 days at either the Toronto or Vancouver location (I believer Vancouver is being shut down in favour of a Toronto only location). They pay for your flight and stay in Toronto if you are out of town or even province! 

After that you are certified but they really demand a dynamic and socratic teaching style. Lots of enthusiasm for the subject and also an engaging personality! 

Hopefully this helps! I can provide the e-mail to the regional organizer for the Ontario region if this might help in a PM! 

EDIT: Despite my sounding like a walking advertisement for TPR upon review of this post it really is a great experience. Here's a little bit more breakdown of MCAT 2015 and my position: 

I am an Orgo Chem Instructor

MCAT #1: 35 (12-10-13) and MCAT #2 : 36 (12-10-14) 

Orgo Chem is now 4 lectures (sad to say it shrunk from 6 last year!), Bio 10 lectures, G-Chem 6 lectures, PS 8 lectures, CARS 7 lectures 

Rough MCAT 2015 Length: 7.5 hours

When you say they have persued people, what do you mean? Do they send threatening letters or have they issued and served claims on people/brought injunctions? It sounds more expensive than it's worth to go any further than a letter

They probably start with letters if it's a small infraction I'm sure but we were told in training that they were currently going through court .. I guess suing (?) some previous instructors for for breaking their non-compete clause by teaching non-TPR MCAT classes. They could've totally been bullshitting us just to scare us out of not breaking it at all and I don't know HOW far you'd have to go, but we were told they take it very seriously. Now, if you tutored your cousin's friend on the side... are they going to bother with suing you? Probably not... but if you're teaching your own non-TPR classes or for another company they might because they have to protect their proprietary teaching methods/intelligence/whatever. It kinda had a weird culty vibe to the whole TPR thing so I didn't really question it but don't have plans to break my non-compete anyway.

They probably start with letters if it's a small infraction I'm sure but we were told in training that they were currently going through court .. I guess suing (?) some previous instructors for for breaking their non-compete clause by teaching non-TPR MCAT classes. They could've totally been bullshitting us just to scare us out of not breaking it at all and I don't know HOW far you'd have to go, but we were told they take it very seriously. Now, if you tutored your cousin's friend on the side... are they going to bother with suing you? Probably not... but if you're teaching your own non-TPR classes or for another company they might because they have to protect their proprietary teaching methods/intelligence/whatever. It kinda had a weird culty vibe to the whole TPR thing so I didn't really question it but don't have plans to break my non-compete anyway.

I have no experience with this, but it seems super slimy to me to make someone sign a non complete clause and then not hire them.

I get that they don't want people to complete the training then take it elsewhere but there's got to be a better way.

I'm starting my first day teaching MCAT for TPR soon. The process to get certified is a loooong one. I actually wrote and passed the qualifying test for all of the sections except VR, but I only got certified in physics because they said that they don't need instructors in other sections...I had to sign the non-compete clause before I attended the training weekend (which can fail you) and before they even offered me a salary. I got the feeling that they wanted to stall these things as much as possible so that you will sign the non-compete clause first and now you'll have to accept whatever salary they give you. Tobe fair though, I think they really try to pass you during the training weekend. I didn't perform as well as I hoped but I still passed. I will be teaching soon and I'm really excited for that. Not happy about the process but I'm super glad I got a chance to teach.

Oh and planning the lectures for the first time is INTENSE. I think I spent 10 hours writing out my lecture notes for the first lecture and that's not including rehearsal time. I only have to teach the basic stuff during the first lecture like trig, displacement, acceleration, Newton's laws, and it took me 10 hours to write! I can't imagine doing this for the first time during med school

Bio-10 lectures, Physics-8 lectures, OChem-4 lectures. Can't remember the rest.

• 4 weeks later...

I have no experience with this, but it seems super slimy to me to make someone sign a non complete clause and then not hire them.

I get that they don't want people to complete the training then take it elsewhere but there's got to be a better way.

It is a little slimy, I agree, but I don't think a lot of people fail. I mean if you give a crap you can totally pass because you get feedback on the first day and then you just have to take that feedback and make the second day better. It sounded to me like the people who didnt pass just didn't take training seriously at all.

I'm starting my first day teaching MCAT for TPR soon. The process to get certified is a loooong one. I actually wrote and passed the qualifying test for all of the sections except VR, but I only got certified in physics because they said that they don't need instructors in other sections...I had to sign the non-compete clause before I attended the training weekend (which can fail you) and before they even offered me a salary. I got the feeling that they wanted to stall these things as much as possible so that you will sign the non-compete clause first and now you'll have to accept whatever salary they give you. Tobe fair though, I think they really try to pass you during the training weekend. I didn't perform as well as I hoped but I still passed. I will be teaching soon and I'm really excited for that. Not happy about the process but I'm super glad I got a chance to teach.

Oh and planning the lectures for the first time is INTENSE. I think I spent 10 hours writing out my lecture notes for the first lecture and that's not including rehearsal time. I only have to teach the basic stuff during the first lecture like trig, displacement, acceleration, Newton's laws, and it took me 10 hours to write! I can't imagine doing this for the first time during med school

Bio-10 lectures, Physics-8 lectures, OChem-4 lectures. Can't remember the rest.

Yeah I hear you about the lecture planning. I somewhat refuse to spend that much more time than I am getting paid for so I spend only 5 hours max prepping my lectures and so far it's been okay. If you're only willing to pay me for 3 hours of prep, your quality expectations are for a class that has been prepped in 3 hours. And if I get terrible student feedback and they don't wanna rehire me I'm not too hurt about it. But I think my students enjoy my lectures. Also.. so far, my bio lectures are so jam packed I honestly don't have much time for socratic method. I know that's what they want and I'm doing my best to implement it, but if you're going to cram all that content into 10 lectures ain't nobody got time fo dat plus an ICC (nevermind TWO ICC's. Ha, that's a joke. Like I'd ever have time for 2.) I'm assuming it gets better as you go... maybe you get faster and more efficient at teaching so you have more time for ICC's and socratic method.

Archived