Premed 101 Forums

Curriculum Vitae

Hi,

I've just been accepted in dentistry, and I want to apply to medicine (french stream) at Ottawa.

Is it a good thing for the resume to be in dentistry? (Do you think it can increase my chances?) Or they only look at work experiences/volunteering/researches/distinctions ?

Thanks!

So you applied to dentistry and are going to do a year of it, waste the time of the professors, and then apply to medicine and leave the profession? Do you realize how many people would have liked to of had the spot that you're currently taking up? I'm all for applying to both med and dent, I did it myself, but I don't think it looks particularly good to go through a year of dental school and apply to medicine.  I think that'll definitely come up.  Especially since by the time OMSAS is due, you'll only be a month into dental school and therefore can't use the excuse that you have decided you don't like it as no one can possible determine that from 1 month of classes.  I would think about that before putting yourself through a year of dental school. 

Well, I just applied the concept of a 1st choice and 2nd choice lol. I won't sit on the floor waiting for a potential admission in medicine. I need a job...

That's really the first time I hear that being in dental school and apply to medicine looks "bad". I just wanted to know if it was an asset for the resume.

If anyone thinks the same than MrShwartz3, can you please explain it to me because I don't want to loose my chances for medicine.

Thanks.

Well, I just applied the concept of a 1st choice and 2nd choice lol. I won't sit on the floor waiting for a potential admission in medicine. I need a job...

That's really the first time I hear that being in dental school and apply to medicine looks "bad". I just wanted to know if it was an asset for the resume.

If anyone thinks the same than MrShwartz3, can you please explain it to me because I don't want to loose my chances for medicine.

Thanks.

I think it is neither bad nor good. You can simply explain that dental school was your back up plan but medicine is your passion. But I think it is fair to say they may ask you this question "what do you think of taking a seat of a profession that could make someone truly happy". I understand your situation. Many ppl, either premed or medical students, are stuck with this mindset that applying to med while you are in dental school is a bad idea. 

I don't think med school admissions would necessarily look down on you for it but you should be prepared to explain yourself. Everyone knows how competitive medicine is. It's silly to think people shouldn't pursue their backups in the meantime.

Plenty of people have completed full professional degrees before going into medicine without even working in the profession they spent years studying (pharm, nursing, law, dent, PT, etc.). If anything, I actually find that a bigger waste than ditching your backup. It's not uncommon for a few students to drop out of dental school for whatever reason. In fact, it opens up spots for transfers from Canadian students studying in the US or elsewhere in Canada who really want to transfer for personal and/or financial reasons. It works out.

The only thing I'm slightly paranoid about is the fact that OMSAS would request transcripts from the dentistry's office and the administrative staff may realize you don't want to be there. I know of a previous student who was in pharmacy and applied to medicine during their 2rd year. The faculty staff basically found out, gave them a really hard time, and it created a SUPER hostile environment for the student. However, this was AGES ago so I'm not sure if it would still be like this now.

If you were to build rapport with your dental profs early on and talk to some of them about your concerns, some may even be willing to write you reference letters highlighting why the switch from dentistry to medicine is suitable (probably easier to do after 1st year though). This could help your app.

Archived