Premed 101 Forums

Uwo 2Nd Year Courses/modules

Hi everyone, 

I just finished my first year of the Medical Sciences (BMSc) program at UWO, and course selection for 2nd year is coming up soon. By the end of 2nd year I need to have decided on a module for 3rd and 4th year. The available modules are Biochem, biochem and cell bio, biochem of infection and immunity, biochem and pathology of human disease, chemical bio, computational bio, epidemiology and biostats, interdisciplinary med sci, med biophysics, mediacal cell bio, medical health informatics, micorbiology and immunology, pathology and toxicology, pharmacology, physiology, physiology and pharmacology. 

I need some help on choosing my module, or at least narrowing it down because I need to choose courses for second year that will fill the requirements. Any advice on this process would be helpful, thanks!

Just choose your module according to your interests; 4th year involves a lot of reading & learning of research material from that module/field, so you'll be pretty bored if you choose something you don't like.

The only other advice I can give is to decide on whether you will want to do a thesis or not. Med sci is the only module where you would not take part in a course thesis project (to my knowledge); although it is much less work, you would be missing out on research experience (and a potential reference) by going that route.

If you don't want to do a thesis, you can choose any module but just don't do honours specialization.

IMO, do physiology. I'm totally biased because I was in phys and really enjoyed it. In the end it all doesn't matter too much. It's really just a balance between doing something you are interested in and doing something you can get high grades in.

The advice given above is good advice. I'd also try and go to some of the open houses/information Schulich has on the modules throughout the year, as that can help you decide what field you might be interested in. If you want information on Micro/Imm I can help you out, I was in that module. The main thing I'd be concerned about is whether you want to do a thesis or not - most people in their modules enjoyed it a fair bit, regardless of what module they chose.

Archived