Premed 101 Forums

2016 Intake - Who's Applying At Nosm?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks rural_roots!

Wow. You are very persistent, and oh so close! I hope that this year is your year, I wish you all the best.

Are you travelling to singapore for your interview? It must be a long flight. Good luck! BTW you also have a really good chance at McMaster since you have a PHD and great verbal score.

Are you travelling to singapore for your interview? It must be a long flight. Good luck! BTW you also have a really good chance at McMaster since you have a PHD and great verbal score.

Nope (thank goodness!) the interview is at Duke University, in North Carolina. Still a flight, but much much closer! I just received the interview itinerary, much different than Canada! I almost forgot interviews could be non-MMI (joking ... kind of). Apparently it is a whole day affair and involves two one-on-one interviews with a faculty member. I look forward to the experience. 

Hi everyone! 

What are my chances? 

BSc in Engineering 3.98 GPA graduated in 2015 

Worked full time in the USA health field for 5 months 

400+ volunteer hours + a week in rural developing country 

PS: I am in the US but I am a Canadian citizen. 

Also, has anybody heard about interviews or NOSM calling your verifiers? 

Hi everyone! 

What are my chances? 

BSc in Engineering 3.98 GPA graduated in 2015 

Worked full time in the USA health field for 5 months 

400+ volunteer hours + a week in rural developing country 

PS: I am in the US but I am a Canadian citizen. 

Also, has anybody heard about interviews or NOSM calling your verifiers? 

Hi, Even with your great GPA, your chance is a little at NOSM. They want people who grew up and lived in Northern Ontario. Check statistics from previous year to have an idea. However, you may have a good chance at Ottawa.

Hi, Even with your great GPA, your chance is a little at NOSM. They want people who grew up and lived in Northern Ontario. Check statistics from previous year to have an idea. However, you may have a good chance at Ottawa.

Thank you! I did apply to Ottawa as well but I am not sure how I did on casper. 

NOSM website said that they accept 1 international student a year and also that they are willing to take a student wanting to work in rural area. But from reading around the forums, it seems like that is not the case. 

Thank you! I did apply to Ottawa as well but I am not sure how I did on casper. 

NOSM website said that they accept 1 international student a year and also that they are willing to take a student wanting to work in rural area. But from reading around the forums, it seems like that is not the case. 

Where did you find the international student information? NOSM accepts only Canadian or permanent residents. Correct me if I am wrong.

• 6 months later...

I have a question about context. If my wife was born and raised in northern Ontario but I wasn't( I am from southern Ontario) and we are living in the north, does that give me context point( magic points yahooo)? We plan on staying in the north if / when I become a doctor.

I'm going to assume that if your wife was born and raised in NO, you won't receive a better context score, but if you are currently living there, that might help a little (Its unclear how long you have to live in NO before your context score starts to go up). Having said that, you could mention your wife in some of the questions NOSM asks. Here you could explain that you intend in remaining in the north (I think one question is about why you are applying to NOSM and what life experiences prepare you to live in NO).

Archived