Premed 101 Forums

Match Rate By Specialty And School?

Just wondering if there's data that shows that for a given specialty at a particular school, how many people who chose that specialty matched into it? 

I feel like this is the best indicator of success rate rather than the overall match rate because different schools will have different proportions of students applying to easier/competitive specialties. 

I tried looking through the entire report and couldn't find this data. 

When you said "for a given specialty at a particular school", did you mean school of residency or school of graduation?

If school of residency: Quite sure they don't release the stats of the number of applicants per program, per school (probably due to prevent issues on school perceptions?), but they do have a table on how many matched into a specialty per school in the 1st iteration (Table 27). But I'm not sure how this can be the "best indicator of success rate", since the info is on the school of residency?

If you meant school of graduation: this could be an indicator of relative success and there are tables (Tables 34-37) showing the number of applicants from each school who chose AND matched to a specialty (although the number of total applicants nor where they matched are not shown, probably due to privacy issues?).

Haha realized either way the data on what you wanted is not available, at least to my knowledge!

When you said "for a given specialty at a particular school", did you mean school of residency or school of graduation?

If school of residency: Quite sure they don't release the stats of the number of applicants per program, per school (probably due to prevent issues on school perceptions?), but they do have a table on how many matched into a specialty per school in the 1st iteration (Table 27). But I'm not sure how this can be the "best indicator of success rate", since the info is on the school of residency?

If you meant school of graduation: this could be an indicator of relative success and there are tables (Tables 34-37) showing the number of applicants from each school who chose AND matched to a specialty (although the number of total applicants nor where they matched are not shown, probably due to privacy issues?).

Haha realized either way the data on what you wanted is not available, at least to my knowledge!

I meant by school of graduation. For example: how many students at Alberta applied for Optho and how many of those matched into it (doesn't matter where they matched)?

Yeah, even if we had that data (and I don't believe we do), they'd probably be pretty meaningless. For the big specialties (Family, Internal), the match rate is so high, that I wouldn't expect much difference school-to-school. For the smaller specialties, there would be zero statistical validity to those numbers.

I agree with what you guys said, but I think it might offer some insight if you looked at it longitudinally across multiple years. Anyways, it doesn't seem that data is available anyways. I was thinking for something like radiology for example, last year U of T had 15 match into it, but less than 5 at Mac I think. So while there may not be significant statistical validity, it might offer some insight. 

I seem to recall reading that they withhold that information for reasons of privacy - this would be especially relevant for the smaller specialties.

That's too bad. It would be helpful for those specialties. For something like FM or Internal, it doesn't really help that much to know the overall match rate. 

Would that have mattered???? The match rate for each school changes every year. For example, there might be 50 interested in internal medicine in my school this year compared to 40 people last year. 

Apply to the specialty that you would like to practice for the rest of your medical career, the national statistics are enough to give you a general idea of the competitivity of each program.  :)

Shouldn't be an issue. Every US school has a breakdown as to where their graduates matched. Some schools even list the names of their graduates! Why can't Canada do the same?

It could be useful if we compare the stats longitudinally like Panacea said. If a particular school of graduation has been consistently churning out a particular discipline over history, that is valuable information for whoever is interested in the discipline.

I have a hard time believing that all schools are the same. Sure, the accreditation is the same and everyone qualifies for first iteration. But what about classmates, networking, research opportunities and curriculum structure?

Really, they are the same. There are probably some factors that would make a school better for you, individually. But they all have everything you need to get you where you want to go.

Really, they are the same. There are probably some factors that would make a school better for you, individually. But they all have everything you need to get you where you want to go.

There is a bit more to it than that. Not all schools are equal, and to insist that they are is a bit cliched.

Some programs in some disciplines are more likely to recruit students from their own schools.  The match climate is becoming more and more challenging. Students are thinking about their residencies before even the first day of medical school starts. Some students may desire to be residents in a particular program, or want to increase their likelihood of matching by going to a program that primarily recruits internally. With a defined endpoint in mind, medical school applicants can take up offers of acceptance that fit with their future plans. There is nothing wrong with that approach.

Some schools lack residency programs in competitive disciplines, making exposure and matching more challenging. A student who wants to be an ophthalmologist from day one would probably rather attend a school with an ophthalmology program than one without.

There is a bit more to it than that. Not all schools are equal, and to insist that they are is a bit cliched.

Some programs in some disciplines are more likely to recruit students from their own schools. The match climate is becoming more and more challenging. Students are thinking about their residencies before even the first day of medical school starts. Some students may desire to be residents in a particular program, or want to increase their likelihood of matching by going to a program that primarily recruits internally. With a defined endpoint in mind, medical school applicants can take up offers of acceptance that fit with their future plans. There is nothing wrong with that approach.

Some schools lack residency programs in competitive disciplines, making exposure and matching more challenging. A student who wants to be an ophthalmologist from day one would probably rather attend a school with an ophthalmology program than one without.

You're right, they're not exactly the same. You and I actually seem to be agreeing that some schools may be better for some applicants.

Also, I think everything you've said, while true, is only true for someone who knows exactly what they want to do before they even choose what school to attend. Which is kind of dangerous, and not really how anyone should approach it, in my opinion.

I thought that all the Canadian medical schools offer ophthalmology residency??? 

In general, most medical students would prefer to do their residency in their home school after 4 or 5 years. Also, during 2 years of clerkship, you get to know the people in the department and probably you already worked with them in a research project. Nevertheless, all the programs want the best candidates out there :)

Some programs in some disciplines are more likely to recruit students from their own schools.  The match climate is becoming more and more challenging. Students are thinking about their residencies before even the first day of medical school starts. Some students may desire to be residents in a particular program, or want to increase their likelihood of matching by going to a program that primarily recruits internally. With a defined endpoint in mind, medical school applicants can take up offers of acceptance that fit with their future plans. There is nothing wrong with that approach.

In general, most medical students would prefer to do their residency in their home school after 4 or 5 years.

I don't think this is a fair generalization. I think about half of students would prefer to do residency at their home school while the other half is looking to diversify their training. It's true that some programs recruit almost exclusively from within, but many others don't. I ended up matching to a residency where I didn't even do an elective. I ranked it substantially higher than my home school since I wanted a chance to explore other avenues. I'm quite happy with my match and have no regrets about leaving my home school.

Archived