Premed 101 Forums

Deal With The Guilt Of Not Working During Summer...

Hello guys,

So i got into dental school here in Quebec on a conditional offer. So basically i need to finish 2 prereqs courses before the end of the summer. I was planning to work full time + working on the classes (Calc 2 & physics 2) and this is clearly not working as i'm burning out and not doing well in physics at all. In 3 weeks, calc starts so i will have about 18hours of classes a week and i realized it's even more than in my normal undergrad so i thought about stopping work. Now i'm fine with the decision BUT i feel incredibly guilty for not working and loosing a few $1000.. and i know this is nothing. like i already have almost $20,000 of undergrad debts and god know how much i will have in 5 years (although tuition is still pretty cheap in Qc for d-school). 

How did you guys deal with not working during summer? i feel like i can't see the bigger picture and i'm scared i will feel guilty every time i want to spend money coming from my loans next year because of that reason. 

so that might be stupid. actually, it is stupid but maybe if i see what people write it will make me realize what i clearly know but don't want to admit haha

thanks everyone :) 

If you're young, the money is inconsequential. I regret working even the little bit I did before med school. If I look further back, I regret working in high school before university only to end up spending countless multiples more on tuition and living through the years. You never get that free time back, but as a student in professional school you will be able to securely pay the debt back. Since you have to take classes, you will need the remaining free time to ensure you start off fresh for school in the fall.

I wish I could express how much I hate working right now, the 7 grand I'll be making over the summer will not make a dent in my overall debt, but facing 3 years of med school with basically no summers will definitely make a dent in my sanity. You'll be getting a 250k LOC and raking in 200K+ by the time the LOC runs out, it's definitely not worth it to work for the summer. 

• 1 month later...

In my four summers after each year of undergrad-

1st year- paid to live in Toronto just to volunteer

2nd year- stayed home to study mcat, didn't end up taking it. Didn't do anything else.

3rd year- took the mcat, went to quebec on a bursary to learn french

4th year- continuing work after my honours thesis.

I loved every one of my summers. Except for 2nd year. I didn't regret not working, nor did I regret paying to do certain things. I gained a lot of experiences along the way and that's all that mattered for me. However in 2nd year it was the fact that I felt that I didn't accomplish anything that got me so low. If you feel that you've gained experience in your learning, or in something else, and all that together made your summer feel "full" and satisfying, then maybe that's enough? Idk just my two cents :P

Enjoy your time.

You are in a unique circumstance now. The time you spend working now is terribly inefficient. When you are done you will earn the amount you would make on a temporary summer job in a matter of days. 

Time off is pretty precious. Enjoy it while you have it.

I didn't have a job while in med school. Looking back I don't regret it for a second.

Hello guys,

So i got into dental school here in Quebec on a conditional offer. So basically i need to finish 2 prereqs courses before the end of the summer. I was planning to work full time + working on the classes (Calc 2 & physics 2) and this is clearly not working as i'm burning out and not doing well in physics at all. In 3 weeks, calc starts so i will have about 18hours of classes a week and i realized it's even more than in my normal undergrad so i thought about stopping work. Now i'm fine with the decision BUT i feel incredibly guilty for not working and loosing a few $1000.. and i know this is nothing. like i already have almost $20,000 of undergrad debts and god know how much i will have in 5 years (although tuition is still pretty cheap in Qc for d-school). 

How did you guys deal with not working during summer? i feel like i can't see the bigger picture and i'm scared i will feel guilty every time i want to spend money coming from my loans next year because of that reason. 

so that might be stupid. actually, it is stupid but maybe if i see what people write it will make me realize what i clearly know but don't want to admit haha

thanks everyone :)

You pretty much just need to learn how to relax. Stop thinking about these things, think about something more important like how to enjoy your life, or planning for the future. Big picture not small things. 

Enjoy your time.

You are in a unique circumstance now. The time you spend working now is terribly inefficient. When you are done you will earn the amount you would make on a temporary summer job in a matter of days. 

Time off is pretty precious. Enjoy it while you have it.

I didn't have a job while in med school. Looking back I don't regret it for a second.

^ This!

Work? What's that? Never heard of it. :P:)

Zero guilt. I'm gonna enjoy my summer until the very last minute. Then I'll study as I have never studied before and I'll do that during the next few years. So, no, I don't feel any guilt at all about not working during this summer.

Archived