Premed 101 Forums

Please Give Me Examples Of "stellar" Ec's For Medical School

Firstly, focus strictly on academics in your first year until you have control of your GPA. Look up CanMEDS competencies and you want to acquire these. Follow your interests. There is no ideal menu. It is all about being active in your community while achieving academic excellence. Even working during summer is good, e.g., if you are in retail dealing with customer service, you will enhance your communication skills resolve difficult problems and lose any shyness becoming comfortable talking with strangers in all sorts of situations.It is all about what you learn along your journey of ECs, volunteering and working.   If you enjoy sports, coach kids, preferably underprivileged ones, thereby demonstrating your expertise and altruism.

Nobel Prize in Physiology and Medicine, it will increase your chances greatly

Just slightly actually. Also need to be an Olympic athlete, have your artwork at the Louvre, scaled Everest, and completed 5 solo surgeries in a developing country. Those MIGHT get you an interview. 

Don't forget first prize in 2015 International Chopin Competition, 2017 Van Cliburn Competition, Tchaikovsky International Competition, debut at Carnegie Hall, soiree at the White House, Masterclass at Salle Pleyel etc.

Oh, and maybe sing Elvira the night after Brunnhilde? ;)

On a more serious note, in addition to people saying you should do what you enjoy- I would explore for options within your school's faculty of medicine. It can be a great way to not only show the admissions committee that you care, but it can also give you a huge amount of info on how students are taught/whether medicine is right for you. These opportunities may be hard to come by, but you'll never find them if you don't look.

3.95+gpa

35+MCAT/11+VR

two or three second or third-author papers (1st author not necessary)

hospital volunteer/admin work

Significant involvement in two or more health-related NGOs (don't have to be at the same time)

Above average ref letters

should get you a few interviews.

Don't forget first prize in 2015 International Chopin Competition, 2017 Van Cliburn Competition, Tchaikovsky International Competition, debut at Carnegie Hall, soiree at the White House, Masterclass at Salle Pleyel etc.

Oh, and maybe sing Elvira the night after Brunnhilde? ;)

Actually, I know more than one med student who's performed at Carnegie Hall.

Any experience where you learn more about yourself and your environment, including other people, is important. If work teaches you collaboration, management, leadership, time and stress management, advocacy or anyof these, then it is important.

Showing some kind of focus in your ECs helps. Don't just do random things because then it looks like resume padding. This goes with what everyone else has said about following your interests.

Any type of volunteering at the hospital is fine. In my experience you kind of have to start off wherever they put you anyway. Once you've established a good relationship you can ask to volunteer in the department that interests you.

No matter what you do, it all comes down to how to word your experiences in your ABS. But you can worry about that later since you're just entering university.

And also focus focus focus on your GPA. It's SO important even if people don't want to admit it

Communication is more key than the actual activity. People only see the way you present yourself, so make it count.

Generally, if you are passionate about something it is easier to communicate that it was a "stellar EC."

This + I think how you write the descriptions on your application makes all the difference. You didn't shovel ****, you "facilitated adequate botanical nutrition"

There is not some magic recipe.  Admissions wants to see driven, hard working individuals.  It doesn't matter whether this is manifested by three first-author papers or by representing your province in sport.  Hell, maybe you started a successful communal garden on campus.  Do what you WANT to do, what comes naturally to you, and, frankly, what you are successful at.  And then re-use your same material at every interview station because hey, this is the MMI!

This + I think how you write the descriptions on your application makes all the difference. You didn't shovel ****, you "facilitated adequate botanical nutrition"

MeGusta I sent you a PM. Thanks!

And thanks to all who commented on this post. It was really helpful.

Archived