Premed 101 Forums

Question About Mcgill Qc University Acceptance

I am applying next year as a Quebec resident in the University category, and I heard that if you get accepted you have to confirm and pay your deposit by March 30th or something like that. I was wondering if by doing so, it was also mandatory for you to remove yourself from the interview for other schools (at that time the invitations for the other Quebec Universities come out too) or reject offers from other schools too. 

Because as of now, the waitlist movement this year for the QC University category hasn't even moved yet and I am suspecting that McGill`s early confirmation deadline is the reason.

Thanks in advance

You have to pay the deposit within about 2 weeks of the admission offer. However, you have until mid-June to ask for a refund
https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/after-youve-applied/accepting-offer

Therefore, I assume that you do not have to remove yourself from other interviews, usually held in April and decisions in May. 

Many say that by mid-June, there should be movement in the IP waitlist.

where did march 30 come from?  McGill seem to change interview dates every year.  Two years ago, the interview was held late March (with offers being sent out in mid April) whereas this year interviews was in Feb.  I wouldn't dare to predict when next year's interviews/offers are. 

There was no requirement that you turn down other offers/interview in order to accept McGill's. 

where did march 30 come from?  McGill seem to change interview dates every year.  Two years ago, the interview was held late March (with offers being sent out in mid April) whereas this year interviews was in Feb.  I wouldn't dare to predict when next year's interviews/offers are. 

There was no requirement that you turn down other offers/interview in order to accept McGill's. 

Some people I knew who got accepted this year found out around March 16-17th whether they got accepted or not, and they got 2 weeks to accept/pay the deposit.

I was just wondering because I know that in Ontario, once you accept an offer you are automatically taken off the waitlist/acceptance list of the other Ontario schools, since it is all an integrated system.

McGill's admission offers are independent of all other school and as far as I know, no way could the other schools know if you applied, let alone are admitted.

Actually, McGill does know, as from this excerpt from the Conditions of Admission thing we had to upload to Minerva: 

§5 Registration(via the Minerva system) in the M.D.,C.M. programrequires that you cancel or decline any active candidacy (e.g. registrations, offers, waiting lists, applications, etc.) that you may have in any other institution of undergraduate medical education or training.

§6 Pursuant to an agreement between the faculties and schools of medicine in Canada and the United States and administered by the Association of the Faculties of Medicine of Canada and the Association of American Medical Colleges, these institutions shall inform, through a secure system, the names of students admitted to undergraduate medical education programs in order to facilitate decision-making regarding those who are on the waiting list.

Full link: http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/files/medadmissions/maaf-medicine-en-201509-final.pdf

Registration isn't the same as accepting an offer though... I think. June 9 is when registration opens this year even though offers came out in March.

I think this is what it is. According to the PDF file in the link above, condition #3 also states the following:

§3 Students registered in the undergraduate medical education program are required to register with le Collège des médecins du Québec (hereinafter, the CMQ) by September 30th of the year of registration in the undergraduate medical education program, which may include (but is not limited to) submitting to the CMQ:

Therefore my guess is that once you accept the offer (and pay the deposit), you still have to register with the CMQ. But by September 30th it makes sense that you should only have one choice lol, as opposed to in May-June, if you happen to be lucky enough to have multiple offers.

You don't register with the CMQ until september. i think you need a notarized birth certificate or something. i have a vague recollection of standing in a line to have my birth certificate notarized during the first 3-4 weeks of class. 

Registration happens later in the summer. I think things have changed and you need to register for yourself but when we went through the faculty registered for us. 

Accepting the offer and paying the deposit isn't the same as registration with the program. you usually know if you're accepted before the french schools host their interviews but i know people who were accepted who still went for their french interviews to keep their options open. i'm pretty sure paying the deposit won't limit your options, both within and outside the province. 

Archived