Premed 101 Forums

When To Write The Canadian Dat?

Hello everyone, 

I'd like to apologize if my question has been answered before, I did search the forums but I only found threads on the American DAT.

I'm a Canadian student and I'm going to start my 3rd undergraduate year in September (4 year program), and I am worried about the DAT exam. I plan on applying to Canadian as well as American dental schools, so I'm going to do the cDAT rather than the American DAT. 
My dilemma is that I do not know when to write the exam! US schools mention that "Score reports for candidates who took the November Canadian DAT exam are usually NOT received in time for consideration for that year's admission cycle."

In that case, would you suggest that I do the DAT during my third year (November/February)? 
If I do decide to write the November (2015) exam, I have 2.5 months left this summer to study before I go back to school, I'll still dedicate time to study for it during Sept & Oct. Is that enough time?
Also, do US schools require the carving section if I am doing the cDAT??

What would you all suggest? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The Canadian DAT is held every Nov and Feb. You have plenty of time to study right now for the Nov one, plus if you write it in Nov, you are still elligible for all Canadian dental schools beginning in Sept of 2016. I personally never looked into American ones so I don't know what their deal is, but it may vary from school to school, although I heard that a lot of them start their application process super early, so the Nov one might not cut it. 

Regardless, it'll be a good idea to take it ASAP, and being that it's your first time, you can always just use it as a practice round in case the scores are not ideal. As for the carving section, different dental schools differ on that requirement (e.g. U of Alberta asks for it and U of Toronto doesn't), so look specifically at each school's admission requirements. 

Once you find out your Nov results and are not completely satisfied with them (so like... maybe if there are sections that's a 20 or lower), then take it again in Feb, and use that to apply for US schools next year. You still got time since you are just entering third year! Good luck :)

The Canadian DAT is held every Nov and Feb. You have plenty of time to study right now for the Nov one, plus if you write it in Nov, you are still elligible for all Canadian dental schools beginning in Sept of 2016. I personally never looked into American ones so I don't know what their deal is, but it may vary from school to school, although I heard that a lot of them start their application process super early, so the Nov one might not cut it. 

Regardless, it'll be a good idea to take it ASAP, and being that it's your first time, you can always just use it as a practice round in case the scores are not ideal. As for the carving section, different dental schools differ on that requirement (e.g. U of Alberta asks for it and U of Toronto doesn't), so look specifically at each school's admission requirements. 

Once you find out your Nov results and are not completely satisfied with them (so like... maybe if there are sections that's a 20 or lower), then take it again in Feb, and use that to apply for US schools next year. You still got time since you are just entering third year! Good luck :)

My advice to you : take it as soon as possible.

Thank you for your replies!

I've decided to do the November DAT, I will be registering for it ASAP as I heard that the seats get filled up pretty quick. 

As for study material, what would you suggest? I probably will not be doing the carving section since UWO, UofT & UBC as well as US schools do not require it. I've been reading forums all day and I've compiled the following list of materials:

• Kaplan DAT (8th edition) 
  • Kaplan DAT 2015 Strategies, Practice, and Review
  • CliffsAP Biology (3rd edition)
  • Princeton MCAT General Chemistry Review
  • Orgoman DAT Destroyer 
  • Crack the DAT PAT
  • IQ PAT books

Would those be enough to prepare me well for the exam? Are there any other materials that you would suggest? (Chad's videos? DAT Destroyer? DAT Bootcamp?)

Thanks again!  :) 

Thank you for your replies!

I've decided to do the November DAT, I will be registering for it ASAP as I heard that the seats get filled up pretty quick. 

As for study material, what would you suggest? I probably will not be doing the carving section since UWO, UofT & UBC as well as US schools do not require it. I've been reading forums all day and I've compiled the following list of materials:

• Kaplan DAT (8th edition) 
  • Kaplan DAT 2015 Strategies, Practice, and Review
  • CliffsAP Biology (3rd edition)
  • Princeton MCAT General Chemistry Review
  • Orgoman DAT Destroyer 
  • Crack the DAT PAT
  • IQ PAT books

Would those be enough to prepare me well for the exam? Are there any other materials that you would suggest? (Chad's videos? DAT Destroyer? DAT Bootcamp?)

Thanks again!  :) 

I'd also suggest Chad's videos for the chemistry section.

Crack dat PAT saved me in my opinion. I only used it and cliffs AP chemistry and biology and an old Kaplan book for the tests.

Everyone is different, but for me PAT was the toughest to "get" I was scoring 15 and 16 on the practice exams at first. I used it for about a week straight for 2 hours a day and ended up with a 21 on the PAT

I would recommend doing practice exams and seeing where you might be weak and focus the most on that.

• 1 year later...

My advice to you : take it as soon as possible.

Hey Dannny! I keep seeing your name pop up everywhere! Congrats on getting into DMD :)

I will be applying to dentistry at UdeM and uLaval in 2017 as a candidat universitaire en cours de bac. My cegep r score was 33, but I'm hoping to improve it with my university GPA.

Will I still be on time if I do the February 2017 DAT? And do you know if the application deadline for candidat universitaire en cours de bac is in January or in March (like cegep applicants)?

Archived