Premed 101 Forums

Stress-Eating And Weight Gain

Emojis4Life

• 5 weeks later...

I love treats too! Sweet, salty, fatty... I get you.

I agree with the earlier comments saying you should count calories. I know, it is a chore, but it is a lot less of a chore than a strict, weirdo diet is! All of this noise about carbs, etc., is just that: noise! Take it from someone like me, who was around in the 90s when fat was the devil.

If you substitute your current indulgences for lower calorie ones, you will see big gains. For example, a small bag of Lays Potato Chips is about 450 calories, where a small bag of buttery popcorn is 150. 

It takes a little bit of time to calculate things, but if you know that you can eat say 2,000 calories a day without gaining weight, every day that you stay in that limit you feel good. Weight Watchers might also be an idea, since you said that you have gained weight that you want to lose. It is not crazy expensive and it operates on this same principle of counting calories and eating what you like within that range (with less counting on your part). 

As for exercise, get out and move around a bit and feel good, that's all. Even if it is just going for a walk. Exercise is for your mental health, it makes you feel good. If you want to increase your metabolism by gaining muscle, great, find a way to work it into your routine. 

Otherwise, no need to worry so much about exercise. If you figure out your daily calorie count and eat below it by substituting your junk food with lower calorie junk food, you could lose the weight you gained by Christmas this year. Focus on that I would say. Sure, the low calorie "junk" (granola bars, popcorn, popsicles, Skinny Cow ice cream sandwhiches, etc.) may not be the best, but you can worry about that once you have lost the weight you are worried about :).  

Archived