Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Date Help

Hey everyone,

I am currently wait listed (second year in a row...) for UBC as an IP. As it does not look like I will be getting in this cycle, I am thinking about rewriting my 29 mcat (7 vr) in order to be able to apply to other canadian schools.

The thing is, it's already June 11th and there are no BC spots available for the late August sittings. I guess I could travel to Seattle to write it, but I think that could potentially affect my score with the travelling and such. Furthermore, I feel like I need a full three months to prepare in order to get that 11 in VR which many OOP schools require.

So this is my plan: take the September 11/12 MCAT and use this score to apply to OOP schools (Ontario, Alberta, etc.) Because UBCs last date is August 31st to take the MCAT, I am assuming they would only use my old score. I am okay with this for two reasons. One, I really don't think the MCAT score is what is holding me back with UBC as I know many students who have gotten in with the same or lower score (seems to be the consensus here as well). Secondly, in case the MCAT rewrite goes really bad for whatever reason, I am safe at least for UBC.

Does this plan make sense? Will UBC take my September MCAT even though it's late? Is it naive to think that the September 12th date would get me a better score than if I did it on August 22nd? I'm planning to take the whole summer off and literally only do MCAT studying.

Any advice is appreciated.

I think it makes sense. That's pretty much exactly what my plan is. Would have liked to write the MCAT before August, but I am working full time so I want to give myself more than a couple months to study. 

I don't think UBC will take your September score... as far as I know, that Aug 31 cut-off date is not flexible, although you may want to call them to make sure. If you do not think you can do well on August 22nd, it's probably not a good idea to write it, since UBC will take that 2015MCAT score regardless of whether it is lower than your previous score. Also, you never know, you could still get accepted off the wait list. That being said, I think improving your MCAT score could only do good, so study extra hard this summer and kill it in September. Even if that writing doesn't go well, you have plenty of time to give it another shot (if finances are not an issue) so that you have a good score for admission at UBC in 2017. 

Hey everyone,

I am currently wait listed (second year in a row...) for UBC as an IP. As it does not look like I will be getting in this cycle, I am thinking about rewriting my 29 mcat (7 vr) in order to be able to apply to other canadian schools.

The thing is, it's already June 11th and there are no BC spots available for the late August sittings. I guess I could travel to Seattle to write it, but I think that could potentially affect my score with the travelling and such. Furthermore, I feel like I need a full three months to prepare in order to get that 11 in VR which many OOP schools require.

So this is my plan: take the September 11/12 MCAT and use this score to apply to OOP schools (Ontario, Alberta, etc.) Because UBCs last date is August 31st to take the MCAT, I am assuming they would only use my old score. I am okay with this for two reasons. One, I really don't think the MCAT score is what is holding me back with UBC as I know many students who have gotten in with the same or lower score (seems to be the consensus here as well). Secondly, in case the MCAT rewrite goes really bad for whatever reason, I am safe at least for UBC.

Does this plan make sense? Will UBC take my September MCAT even though it's late? Is it naive to think that the September 12th date would get me a better score than if I did it on August 22nd? I'm planning to take the whole summer off and literally only do MCAT studying.

Any advice is appreciated.

Travelling to Seattle(I did that, but to skagit), shouldn't affect you. Go the day before stay in a motel, and write. That is if you want to write the new exam to improve for UBC.

But the rest of your post makes sense.

Archived