Premed 101 Forums

Does My Wgpa Need To Be Increased ?

Hi,

I want to apply for the french stream and I'm from Gatineau. I currently have a 3.82 wgpa, and good EC's. 

Is it worth it to do an additional year to increase my gpa for the admission in 2017 ? It could go up to 3.96 in total (because my gpa's for my 3 most recent year are, from most to less recent: 3.96, 3.96 and 3.11).

Either I do this additional year, either I go to dentistry this fall (I've been accepted in Montreal)

Thanks for your help, I have a very difficult decision...Medicine is really what I want to do but dentistry would be my plan B. (I'm 25 years old)

PS: the cutoff for the french stream was 3.6, but the secretary at the admission (Diane Parent) told me that it will increase this year...but we still don't khow how much

Security for your 2nd choice vs. Going for your dream! Only with the benefit of hindsight will you know the answer.

Personally, on the basis of living with no regrets and we only pass through life once, I would be inclined to do the additional year - and reapply to medicine (and dentistry). I realize that acceptance into dentistry once (and refusing it) is no guarantee for the future. Equally, your GPA for the additional year should raise considerably your wGPA and, therefore, make you a highly competitive candidate next year. Being 25 years of age is relatively young and whatever happens, you ha e time on your side and a very bright future ahead of you.

Thank you MD2015.

However,

Do you think that 3.96 will really make a big difference compared to 3.82 for the admission? I've been told that it almost don't chane anything once you get the interview, since the interview score is what worth the most.

As I said, i apply for the french stream and I'm from Gatineau.

Well, you can do an extra year, but there is risk involved too. You're not guaranteed to get a high GPA, you could do the extra year and end up with a lower GPA, you can't control these things sometimes. Also, even if you get a really high GPA, you could either not get an interview, or  get an interview and get rejected post-interview. By the time you do the extra year, apply, and begin medicine (if accepted on your first try) you will have been done half your dentistry degree. It is a hard decision but at least you got the dent offer, could be in a much worse spot. Think about it, good luck.

If medicine is what you really want then I'd do the extra year to increase your GPA. It can't hurt...

Thank you. But do you think that 3.96 (let's say my wgpa will be 3.96 for 2017) will make a big difference (compared to 3.82) after the interview ?

I know they make a total score by combining the gpa and the interview score, but I've heard that it's mostly the interview score that will determine whether or not I get an offer, no?

Once you fall in a particular interview score, it is mostly your wGPA that matters. Those with the same interview score as you (and higher) and with higher wGPAs will receive offers before you. Within any interview category, a 3.82 is on the lower side, whereas a 3.96 is on the higher side - it can definitely make a difference, but mostly post-interview (if your waitlisted).

The decision is ultimately yours to make.

Thank you. But do you think that 3.96 (let's say my wgpa will be 3.96 for 2017) will make a big difference (compared to 3.82) after the interview ?

I know they make a total score by combining the gpa and the interview score, but I've heard that it's mostly the interview score that will determine whether or not I get an offer, no?

It's really hard to say....speaking from experience, I can't see it making a huge difference; I got in off the waitlist with a 3.75. If i'm not mistaken, the french stream interviews ~98 ppl for ~40 spots. If you are confident about your french and your interview skills, your odds at getting an offer post-interview with a 3.82 aren't bad. The instance at which GPA matters more is if you're waitlisted...but even then...a high GPA doesn't guarantee anything because the interview score is weighted a lot more heavily. 

At the end of the day I think that either decision you decide to make will be a good one. If you do another year to increase your GPA, you are only helping yourself. At the same time, if you decide against this, you still have a decent shot with a 3.82 

It's really hard to say....speaking from experience, I can't see it making a huge difference; I got in off the waitlist with a 3.75. If i'm not mistaken, the french stream interviews ~98 ppl for ~40 spots. If you are confident about your french and your interview skills, your odds at getting an offer post-interview with a 3.82 aren't bad. The instance at which GPA matters more is if you're waitlisted...but even then...a high GPA doesn't guarantee anything because the interview score is weighted a lot more heavily.

At the end of the day I think that either decision you decide to make will be a good one. If you do another year to increase your GPA, you are only helping yourself. At the same time, if you decide against this, you still have a decent shot with a 3.82

Thanks! But actually, the admission secretart (Diane Parent) tols me that the cutoff for the french stream from Ottawa/Gatineau will definitely increase this year (she will know exactely by how much in august). It was 3.6 before. Does this detail change something?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just a simple question: is it possible to get rejected post-interview, when you have a gpa between 3.96-4.0 ? I know it's possible, but does a lot a people fail (post-interview) when they have a gpa within that range ?

Thanks!

It depends pretty much on how badly you interview. From reading how this process works if you get a perfect interview score then you tend to get an offer, and then they move to each interview score and go down by GPA. So if you get wait listed your best chance lies if you have a high GPA. But if you get a poor score it doesn't matter how good your GPA is. GPA isn't the be all end all in this factor. 

Hi,

Just a simple question: is it possible to get rejected post-interview, when you have a gpa between 3.96-4.0 ? I know it's possible, but does a lot a people fail (post-interview) when they have a gpa within that range ?

Thanks!

I think it is possible, it really all depends on how you interview. My GPA was 3.99, and I was put on the waitlist. I got in, but just to show it's possible to be waitlisted with a high GPA.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you MD2015.

However,

Do you think that 3.96 will really make a big difference compared to 3.82 for the admission? I've been told that it almost don't chane anything once you get the interview, since the interview score is what worth the most.

As I said, i apply for the french stream and I'm from Gatineau.

As long as you are applying in French I think you're safe. But I would still do the extra year to keep yourself busy and competitive at other schools

Archived