Premed 101 Forums

Poor Mcat Score: Will It Be Held Against Me?

Presh

I imagine this has been discussed previously, but couldn't find an answer in another thread. 

I'm scheduled to write the MCAT for the first time on September 12th, although I feel as though I bit off more than I can chew this summer and won't be fully prepared by then. Chances are I will have to re-write next year for application in 2016.

Does anyone know if this will be held against me in any way? If so, should I just hold off writing until I am completely confident in my preparedness?

I will certainly confirm this with the schools that I plan on applying to, but I'd like your feedback since you're such an informed group of people! :)

If you're applying this cycle, then I think you know the answer.

For the next cycle, schools generally look at your best or most recent score. The only exception I know of is Calgary, which your best VR score will be used 10% of your pre MMI score, but they look at all sections of all previous attempts to assess other things like academic ability. They justify this  by saying that the more often you take the test, the closer you will be able to estimate your "true" score. Again, it's a subjective category, so who knows how they will assess it :) 

Thanks, ow1234! I've heard that some schools may use the number of times you've written the MCAT in the evaluation of your candidacy. I'll be sure to report on what I'm told by admissions officers.

Does anyone else have any experience with this?

If you're applying this cycle, then I think you know the answer.

For the next cycle, schools generally look at your best or most recent score. The only exception I know of is Calgary, which your best VR score will be used 10% of your pre MMI score, but they look at all sections of all previous attempts to assess other things like academic ability. They justify this by saying that the more often you take the test, the closer you will be able to estimate your "true" score. Again, it's a subjective category, so who knows how they will assess it :)

Yea. But the subjective component is only 10% and they look at many things besides the overall MCAT, including trend of grades, difficulty of courses, difficulty of program, etc.

I am in the same boat, mine is on August 22/21 (one of the two). 

I know I wont be ready...havent been able to master any of the topic yet. 

havent even looked in to physics...

but i still want to write it, I want to push myself to study these subjects because I dont have a science background....I have only done cell biology/human biology and some chem at school but thats it. I want to push and study what I can and then try again next year...at least I will have the experience and I will be reviewing the material 

I met with the Manager of Admissions at UWO today who said that poor MCAT scores will absolutely never be held against a student if they re-apply. 

happy92, coming from a relatively weak science background myself, I empathize with your struggle. Best of luck! 

In canada they only look at the most recent, generally, however in the states they will look at all of them so if you're at all considering the states, even as a fallback, make sure you make a solid effort.

Generally speaking, med school at States also look at the recent score/or best score. I believe there's a thread that lists states med school with their mcat policies. 

I think poor MCAT varies person to person. I thought I had a poor MCAT since I had a 9 in VR but I knew it was enough to make the standards of most the schools. If you want Alberta schools OOP or Western/Queens then yeah you need a good score, other than that just try to break 9+ on each section which in my opinion is not that terribly difficult to achieve 

Generally speaking, med school at States also look at the recent score/or best score. I believe there's a thread that lists states med school with their mcat policies. 

I'm 90% sure based on discussions on studentdoctor they look at all of them and have various policies of averaging or just holistically looking at them, and not just take the more recent one, although I think there are some schools that just look at the most recent.

This came up on another discussion - it's almost always best / most recent completely or weighed. Here's the link from studentdoctornet - it's about halfway down thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/which-schools-take-composite-score-as-opposed-to-most-recent-mcat.564571/#post-7164576

And another

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/multiple-mcat-score-policy-school-list.1138370/

Archived