Premed 101 Forums

Need Serious Advice For A Friend

One of my friends has been rejected by all US and Canadian dent schools. I'm not from the dent stream (med) so I don't know much at all. I would really appreciate some guidance on what she should do next. She did life science as her UG degree.

Following are her stats:

GPA: 3.3

DAT score:

PAT: 22

RC: 20

bIo: 20

Ochem: 21

Chem 18

QR: 16 (this is a sad story, missed the last 10 questions)

Total Scince: 20

Academic avg. 19 (it came down cz of the QR)

Her and I have been discussing the following options:

1) Second degree. - How will it affect her application? How do dent schools view/weigh second UG degrees?
2) Masters degree - same questions as above

3) Alternative career - any suggestions? Currently discussing physio, OT, respiratory therapy, etc.

My questions pertain to Canadian, American, and Aussie dent schools.

Again, I would really honestly appreciate any kind of feedback/advice. Thanks a lot.

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear that. But when did your friend apply to the US? The dental schools in the US use rolling admission so the earlier he/she applied, the greater chances they have of getting in.... I think their DAT scores are alright but it wouldn't hurt writing the DAT again to score higher considering their GPA. I really hope that helps, just remember to encourage your friend to not give up. :)

1) Depends on the school. She has to contact those she's interested in and ask. Probably they'd just treat it as more courses. It wouldn't nullify her first degree grades.

2) Once again, depends on the school. U of T loves Masters/Ph.D. students. Not so sure about the States.

My advice:

- Rewrite the DAT

- Do a short masters programme

- Apply again, but EVERYWHERE (not just dentistry). And do not expect to be admitted to dental school. Have a backup plan. Apply to an alternative career stream you're comfortable with, or have something your back pocket. Never put your eggs in one basket.

1) Depends on the school. She has to contact those she's interested in and ask. Probably they'd just treat it as more courses. It wouldn't nullify her first degree grades.

2) Once again, depends on the school. U of T loves Masters/Ph.D. students. Not so sure about the States.

My advice:

- Rewrite the DAT

- Do a short masters programme

- Apply again, but EVERYWHERE (not just dentistry). And do not expect to be admitted to dental school. Have a backup plan. Apply to an alternative career stream you're comfortable with, or have something your back pocket. Never put your eggs in one basket.

Do you know with what gpa one should have to consider a master's degree? I mean, even with a masters but with below avg gpa (3.5 and below), wouldn't increase their chances, right?

In this case, a 2nd degree is the only way to get accepted in Canada.

A Masters degree would might be enough to get a US acceptance, but would not overcome the 3.3 GPA  (assuming all of her individual year GPAs/averages are near that GPA average)

Do you know with what gpa one should have to consider a master's degree? I mean, even with a masters but with below avg gpa (3.5 and below), wouldn't increase their chances, right?

Archived