Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill Med Program Put On Probation?

Hey guys, I saw this on social media today: http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/mcgills-medical-program-put-on-probation-for-falling-short-of-standards

Still kind of shocked to see McGill's program being put into probation. I don't go to McGill personally, but I do have good friends who go there.

Nevertheless, the reputation of med school doesn't guarantee the best curriculum, go to a medical school that you would enjoy the best :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

iF ANYONE who wants to rant about his or her school curriculum, feel free to join it :)

Hey guys, I saw this on social media today: http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/mcgills-medical-program-put-on-probation-for-falling-short-of-standards

Still kind of shocked to see McGill's program being put into probation. I don't go to McGill personally, but I do have good friends who go there.

Nevertheless, the reputation of med school doesn't guarantee the best curriculum, go to a medical school that you would enjoy the best :)

The so-called big name known internationally is just of public relations value.

Every medical school in Canada is excellent, and to err is human, reassessment is always a good thing. We all know what the so-called reputation in comparison to other medical school means. It is out there now forever for better or worse.

I don't think so IMO. The article addressed mainly the fact that the students weren't very happy with the new curriculum, there was a bit of confusion. The learning objectives were not very clear and the students felt a bit frustrated with the new curriculum (at least my good friends).

I am sure that the faculty will address the issues within the deadline; it is just surprising to see that even the most reputated medical school could be put into questions by the accreditation authorities.

Very interesting. I wonder if the Quebec government's budget cuts at McGill played a role?

Hey medafter30,

It is indeed normal. UofSask has been put into probation before. It won't impact the medical students, the medical faculty will work on the issues addressed. It will actually help the faculty to address some communciation issues and make the new curriculum more students-friendly.  Don't worry about it too much and enjoy your time off before med school!

I freaked out a little too, but there is far too much at stake for McGill not to work this out. Dalhousie was put on probation as well from 2009-2011, so this is not really unprecedented. They were also assessed on both the old/new curriculum, at the time of transition. It does not surprise me all that much. I'm going to think about it in positive terms - they will work extra hard on communication and admin during my time there. (right? right?)

they will work extra hard on communication and admin during my time there. (right? right?)

Yes. This will not impact the fundamentals of medical education (which I'm sure are generally fine at McGill). I wouldn't worry about it. If anything, McGill is forced to further strengthen it's medical education by addressing the issues brought up by the accreditation process. There might be some growing pains, but it shouldn't cause students extreme concern.

I think this will impact the students in a positive way! McGill is 2 years into a new curriculum, there are definite kinks that still need to be ironed out. The old curriculum was around for decades and still could have used a tune up!

What this means is that changes are going to happen for the better. This is a good thing. 

Is there a reason for the seemingly increased number of probation decisions in the past few years including reputable programs? For example, Baylor also recently received a probation decision.

Its usually for good reason. A university cannot rest on its laurels. 

Did McGill recently revamp their curriculum?

Also, probation does not equal loss of accreditation- students will still receive their MD as they have in the past. However, makes me wonder if this will affect the number of applicants to one of Canada's most reputable schools- Saskatchewan experienced something very similar, although they also changed some requirements, so that may be it.

Let me get this straight.

- nothing is wrong with academics. You heard me, the curriculum is fine.

I invite you all to look at the report.

Everything that's non compliant is either

1- too new, so we don't know yet

2- administrative stuff in nature.

The full reports and tentative plans are here. Please have a read rather than reading misleading b.s. journalism.

https://www.mcgill.ca/medicine/about/our-vision-mission-values/update-accreditation

Everybody who will study at McGill will get their MD, and will be eligible for residency.

Sask and Dal have been on probation too before. It never affected matching etc......

Also, say you have 10 days to do something. At day 8, you haven't reached all the objectives yet, but you still have 2 days left. ''journalism'' now is trying to say at day 8 that McGill might lose accreditation, which is misleading. McGill is on PROBATION. Probation means FULLY ACCREDITED, but needs to fix a few things.

Edit: probation happens all the time. Do not just simply read super biased articles written by journalists who don't even know what the hell it's going on.

Another example of probation of a residency program: http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/sante/201412/11/01-4827543-harcelement-a-ludem-le-programme-de-chirurgie-plastique-menace.php

Did McGill recently revamp their curriculum?

Also, probation does not equal loss of accreditation- students will still receive their MD as they have in the past. However, makes me wonder if this will affect the number of applicants to one of Canada's most reputable schools- Saskatchewan experienced something very similar, although they also changed some requirements, so that may be it.

I don't think so, McGill doesn't really compete for the same candidates as other schools as its the only English speaking medical school in Quebec, it still is. 

It might have an impact on the 16 or so OOP students that McGill accepts each year but by and large things will not change. 

Archived