Premed 101 Forums

Do I Have A Real Chance?

Hi all,

I am a Canadian who will be re-applying to US schools this year and I would really appreciate people's opinion on whether I have a shot at medical schools at all.

My undergrad cGPA is 3.3 (higher marks in last two years). My MCAT score is 36 ( 11PS/ 10VR/ 15BS).  I just finished got my Master's degree in science this month.

ECs:  Patient support in 2 hospitals (~ 200 hours), transplant clinical support (~80 hours), language translator for patients at different clinics (observed many procedures, ~ 80 hours) , part-time tutor, a few leadership activities, student governments.

I also have 2 first authored papers (1 published, 1 submitted), 3 major student awards (10,000 ~ 20,000) and many poster presentation at conferences.

For the 2015 admission year, I could not secure a clinical reference letter in time.

I applied to 12 Canadian friendly schools in late October (submitted secondaries)  and did not get any interview. 

For Canadian schools I applied to McMaster, U of T, and Queen's, interviewed at Queen's but now I'm waitlisted.

My question is:  my undergrad grades are so low, is there a realistic chance for me to get into any US/Canadian school at all?  Being on the waitlist for Queen's is killing me and even though I'm putting an application together for the next year I can't help myself but to ask whether I have a shot at all...

Please please share your thoughts with me, this is a confusing time and I would really appreciate some input. Thank you!  :)   

You applied WAY to late to the US with your stats. You need to apply on Day 1 if you're an underdog.

Also, get your LORs ready, like yesterday.  If you are serious about the US, you're application should already be submitted or be submitted shortly this month.

Your ECs are okay, nothing stellar on face value. You might get some luck. 

What is the year by year breakdown? If you're last 2 years are closer to 4.0, and you really bombed first 2 years, that should help show a strong upward trend. Also, credit weightings on year by year.

Did you qualify for UWO or is your MCAT unbalanced?

Your publications, upward trend, and high MCAT score will give you a pretty good shot at Canadian-friendly research-intensive schools. Give schools like Albert Einstein, NYU, Northwestern, Pittsburg, Duke a shot - you never know! That being said, try to get your application in as soon as possible.

Your LizzyM scores 69 put you at lower tier schools, your MSc, upward GPA, research, ECs, good MCAT will open a lot of doors if you applied as soon as possible.

Here is the schools that you have a chance for interview,

Michigan State- both MD and DO, Wayne State, Oakland, Central Michigan, Rosalind, Jefferson, SUNY-upstate, NYMC, Einstein,

Here is the schools that you have a little chance if your references, research, ECs and essays can backup your applications,

Case Western, Penn state, VCU, Emory

You applied WAY to late to the US with your stats. You need to apply on Day 1 if you're an underdog.

Also, get your LORs ready, like yesterday.  If you are serious about the US, you're application should already be submitted or be submitted shortly this month.

What is the year by year breakdown? If you're last 2 years are closer to 4.0, and you really bombed first 2 years, that should help show a strong upward trend. Also, credit weightings on year by year.

Western need VR11 recent years and two years 3.7 GPA full load, Saskatchewan is good fit for you, you need to convert your GPA to their percentage scale, just need to pass 83%, then with your mCAT 36, you will guarantee an interview at class 2019 if you applied last year.

Manitoba also reachable, you can drop your 10 worst courses then convert your GPA to their 4.5GPA scale, you have 50% chance get interview, I think your GPA and MCAT are right on the fence.

Thank you so much for your input! I actually did an extra year because I switched my major to neuroscience and had to take some core courses..

Year 1: 2.45

Year 2: 3.07

Year 3: 3.66

Year 4: 4

Year 5: 3.76

I have submitted my US application and am now looking for schools that I will be applying to ( from what I know adding schools won't delay my application?). I am also waiting on my referees to submit the LORs and trying to get a head start on the secondaries. People say the secondaries mostly stay the same for majority of the schools, is this true? Also, do I need to heavily edit my secondary answers?  Thanks!

Your publications, upward trend, and high MCAT score will give you a pretty good shot at Canadian-friendly research-intensive schools. Give schools like Albert Einstein, NYU, Northwestern, Pittsburg, Duke a shot - you never know! That being said, try to get your application in as soon as possible.

Thanks! I've submitted my application and am now selecting additional schools!

Your LizzyM scores 69 put you at lower tier schools, your MSc, upward GPA, research, ECs, good MCAT will open a lot of doors if you applied as soon as possible.

Here is the schools that you have a chance for interview,

Michigan State- both MD and DO, Wayne State, Oakland, Central Michigan, Rosalind, Jefferson, SUNY-upstate, NYMC, Einstein,

Here is the schools that you have a little chance if your references, research, ECs and essays can backup your applications,

Case Western, Penn state, VCU, Emory

Thanks for your reply! I've submitted my application and looking for schools to apply to, I'm planning to apply for around 30 schools this year. Is there a strategy to prioritize writing the secondary essays? Thanks again!

Thanks for your reply! I've submitted my application and looking for schools to apply to, I'm planning to apply for around 30 schools this year. Is there a strategy to prioritize writing the secondary essays? Thanks again!

1. Apply 3 to 5 DO schools as a backup plan, especially MSU.

2. Apply 12~15 lower tiers, especially Canadian friendly USMD in Michigan state and New York state.

3. Apply 10~12 AAU schools but not Ivy or alike.

4. There're one or two brand new MD schools every year in USA recent years, check their websites, apply all of them if they accept Canadian. Here's the link http://www.lcme.org/directory.htm

Most secondary came within 48 hours when you're verified by AMCAS and your primary application are ready for MD schools to review, you should try your best to complete them with best quality you can asap to show your ability and commitment. But some schools, like Wayne State, pre-screen applicants' primary application, it took weeks if not months to get secondary, but when it came, that means they like you and interested in you, you have to put 200% on this secondary, don't worry about GPA, MCAT or ECs, you already pass that, now is the essays that you have to match your life stories to their school motto or value, study their websites and wrote your heart out, don't forget ask friends or someone at Tim Hortons that you don't know to give you some feedback.

1. Apply 3 to 5 DO schools as a backup plan, especially MSU.

2. Apply 12~15 lower tiers, especially Canadian friendly USMD in Michigan state and New York state.

3. Apply 10~12 AAU schools but not Ivy or alike.

4. There're one or two brand new MD schools every year in USA recent years, check their websites, apply all of them if they accept Canadian. Here's the link http://www.lcme.org/directory.htm

Most secondary came within 48 hours when you're verified by AMCAS and your primary application are ready for MD schools to review, you should try your best to complete them with best quality you can asap to show your ability and commitment. But some schools, like Wayne State, pre-screen applicants' primary application, it took weeks if not months to get secondary, but when it came, that means they like you and interested in you, you have to put 200% on this secondary, don't worry about GPA, MCAT or ECs, you already pass that, now is the essays that you have to match your life stories to their school motto or value, study their websites and wrote your heart out, don't forget ask friends or someone at Tim Hortons that you don't know to give you some feedback.

Awesome, this has been so helpful, thank you so much!!

Archived