Premed 101 Forums

Hello everyone,

I am currently transitioning into grade 12 and I decided to look into which university to go to for my undergraduate degree. Upon further investigation pertaining to the admission statistics posted by the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine, I've noticed that only 5 students from York have made it to Med School AT UofT compared to the 60+ from Mac or 55 from UofT. This lead to me question the number of students from York University who've actually made it to medical school in general and why people keep suggesting high school students to go to York? Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you'll be able to answer my question.  :D

I don't think it matters what university you go to. Considering GPA is the main thing and the fact they don't care what university or program you are doing at most Ontario schools it makes no difference. You have to work hard anywhere. Perhaps students that go to mac( often from health sci) or Toronto are more inclined to go into medicine. I don't think it's a school thing.

60+ from Mac is due to the HealthSci program, a lot of people in that program are very competitive and get in to programs across Canada. The numbers between Western, UofT, and Queen's seem to just reflect the size of the school. Why is York significantly lower than the rest? That I can't answer. Don't read to much into 1 year's worth of statistics though as there is always the possibility of an outlier. I practised interviews with many students from York and they all received admission into various medical programs across Canada.

Hello everyone,

I am currently transitioning into grade 12 and I decided to look into which university to go to for my undergraduate degree. Upon further investigation pertaining to the admission statistics posted by the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine, I've noticed that only 5 students from York have made it to Med School AT UofT compared to the 60+ from Mac or 55 from UofT. This lead to me question the number of students from York University who've actually made it to medical school in general and why people keep suggesting high school students to go to York? Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you'll be able to answer my question.  :D

For Mac the main reason is Mac Health Sci and for Toronto i'm not 100% on this but my guess is a lot of people who did Masters and PhDs did them at UofT and I think those statistics are looking at the school you are coming from rather than your undergrad correct me if i'm wrong. 

lmao did you post this ironically? There are so many things wrong with this article 

Program for program, York is probably a little easier. When I say easier, I mean that the difference would become apparent through a well controlled study. At the experiential level, I doubt you'd find a huge difference. You will drudge through an undergrad degree, worry about assignments and labs, complain about profs and badmouth TAs for arbitrarily marking your papers regardless of where you go. It's natural to want to think your life is harder than everyone else's and some people get a leg up on this tendency by appealing to their school's reputation. Go on the UofT confessions page on fb and you'll see what I'm talking about haha. What do you really think happens at UofT, professors go through 1000 slides a lecture and ask you to solve PhD level mathematics on your exams? Human limitations are universal, their variation won't differ much between two universities. 

At the end of the day, if you are a motivated + reasonably smart, you will do well in any university.

lmao did you post this ironically? There are so many things wrong with this article 

Program for program, York is probably a little easier. When I say easier, I mean that the difference would become apparent through a well controlled study. At the experiential level, I doubt you'd find a huge difference. You will drudge through an undergrad degree, worry about assignments and labs, complain about profs and badmouth TAs for arbitrarily marking your papers regardless of where you go. It's natural to want to think your life is harder than everyone else's and some people get a leg up on this tendency by appealing to their school's reputation. Go on the UofT confessions page on fb and you'll see what I'm talking about haha. What do you really think happens at UofT, professors go through 1000 slides a lecture and ask you to solve PhD level mathematics on your exams? Human limitations are universal, their variation won't differ much between two universities. 

At the end of the day, if you are a motivated + reasonably smart, you will do well in any university.

most certainly ironic

aka this subject has been beaten to death and your undergrad university cannot and will never be a predictor of your med school chances

Doesn't matter where you go. Choose one and work your butt off. Across all universities, you'll probably see a similar trend in class averages being low 60's with some people getting A's. It's up to you which end of the spectrum you wanna be in.  

Archived