Premed 101 Forums

How To Start Application For Canadian Med Schools

Can someone please provide (or link me to) a step by step for how to begin my application process? How did you all get all the guidance you needed for making deadlines etc..?)

I have:

- written the MCAT (PS:8, VR:9, BS:10)

- have a 3.85 GPA

- am going into my last year of university

Thanks so much, it's nice to not be so alone in all this!

It's a process. Look at the OMSAS Booklet, the websites of the med schools of interest, see the requirements, the deadlines, and start writing. Doing the ABS and Narratives is an art, focus on the CanMEDS competencies, what you learned, what you contributed, how you helped others, how you have developed. You will be doing many, many, many drafts - so the sooner you start, the better.

If you have specific questions, ask. You did not take a course in how to apply, nobody did. We learn from our own experiences and help each other.

Welcome to the forum.  :P

Sheepdog - depending on where you intend to apply, you very well might need to write the MCAT again. If the schools you are considering will only accept the new 2015 MCAT you would need to register ASAP to re-write in time.

As for deadlines, document ordering, application pieces etc - I've always sought those out for each program I'm interested in. It's their job to put the information on the website and from that point on it's my job to find the info and manage the application/deadlines. At the end of the day you can put things in early so if your application is done before the deadline, just submit it and move on to the next one.  

Archived