Premed 101 Forums

Pubs In Student Journals

Emojis4Life

I know that a pub in a student journal is not the same thing as a pub in a higher level "real" journal. Unfortunately, with two or so exceptions (a poster presentation and a published abstract), most of the research I've done has been published and presented in student journals or at student conferences. I'd still like to include these in my app and probably will since I currently have the space but was wondering if they hold any weight at all or if they're basically just useless?

Thanks for the support guys!

I have a question though. The pubs I have in student journals were peer-reviewed. In fact they were looked at by another student and by a faculty member/qualified researcher in the field. Not sure if the process was as rigorous as with real journals but this also counts as peer review, doesn't it?

I'm not sure about this (maybe someone can confirm) but I believe the Adcom checks to see if you're actually published in what you claim to be published in. Having said that, it might be safer to also mention that this was in a student peer-reviewed journal. 

Just put it as a published work like any other. The people reviewing your application will know what it is and understand how its different from a non-student journal, and appraise accordingly.

Absolutely agree. Even if it didn't say "Student Journal" in the title, it wouldn't be misrepresentation to simply cite the journal you were published in. If the adcoms really care about the difference, they'll take the thirty seconds necessary to look up the journal.

Archived