Premed 101 Forums

Practicing In The Us - Is It Disadvantageous To Go To A Cdn Med School?

They are expensive. Why pay 5000$+ when you can just get the J1 for significantly cheaper...or better yet an american citizen who doesn't need a visa at all.

Also a ton of paperwork.... you might ask... why can't I just tell a PD "hey bra, ill pay the H1B visa cost". 

Unfortunately it's not allowed... the program needs to pay the visa cost..  :angry:

Also a ton of paperwork.... you might ask... why can't I just tell a PD "hey bra, ill pay the H1B visa cost". 

Unfortunately it's not allowed... the program needs to pay the visa cost..  :angry:

Of course, because then you would open disparities of rich vs poor etc. (Not that there obviously already isn't one in the whole medical field, but probably a good idea to avoid overt ones like this)

There's supposed to be an incentive - a strong one - for potential employers, including residency programs, to take a US citizen, so potential visa holders paying for their own visa kinda defeats the purpose. It also amounts to a bribe for a job, which is most certainly illegal :P

Pediatrics in the states would slowly kill me. No idea how people do it.

I agree, same with emergency med. I just couldn't turn someone in desperate need, or a child, away for lack of insurance. I have no idea how people cope with that when working in the states

• 2 weeks later...

What specialty?

Also, a friend told me that getting these exemptions are practically impossible these days? Truth?

Surgery

It depends on the state. The more 'popular' states, yes. Less popular states, no. One of his former co-residents completed her first fellowship in the US, is completing her 2nd fellowship back in Canada and appears to have secured a job in the US. She had a J1 visa and the hospital is working on securing the exemption for the state she is possibly moving to. It also helps if you consider working in an 'under serviced area' or get a job at a VA hospital (even part-time).

I thought in an emergency they are obligated to assist? They can chase you for funds later, but I doubt the emergency room will throw away someone to die in the street, otherwise it would be all over the news.

Yah, then they'd just die in the street after the hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical bills they couldn't pay put them there. :(

Archived