Premed 101 Forums

2 Year Masters Or Do Something Else?

Hey everyone! I'm looking for some advice here on whether I should do a masters program I've been accepted to.

I applied within Ontario last year and got interviews with UofT/McMaster/Western, but unfortunately was only waitlisted by Western and it's highly unlikely they'll make it to me given my position in the list. I'm now debating whether or not to accept an offer for a two-year research-based masters program, which would take me out of the running for many schools this year, or to find an alternative plan and reapply in the upcoming cycle.

My stats right now are:

GPA: 3.85 (wGPA depends on school, but are all 3.90+)

MCAT: 9P/11V/12B

Experience: RA in 4 labs (1000+ hours total, lots of experience with participants and clients, but no publications unfortunately), did a 4th year thesis, medical first responder, hospital volunteer, senior home volunteer, special needs camp volunteer. Was also a first-year orientation leader, a residence marketing advisory board member, a tutor with Students Offering Support, and a student mentor in university. Also did a bunch of other stuff like intramurals, summer softball, and music bands throughout the years.

Given the fact that I've been able to get interviews at multiple schools but haven't received good news from any of them, I'm inclined to say interviews are something I have to improve on. I could also improve on my ECs from a research/publication standpoint, so a masters would certainly benefit me in that regard. Plus, the research I'll be doing is something that interests me. However, the end goal is to get into medicine (the sooner the better), and I'm wary of having to write the new MCAT, since my scores will only be valid for this year. 

So, is it worth it to do the masters, or would another plan be more beneficial? Any help is greatly appreciated  :)

A masters certainly isn't bad but you definitely should commit the full two years to it. One of the worst things we can do as students is ditch the preceptor halfway just to pursue our goals.

I do think that you have decent demographics to apply again and can understand why you got interviews. That said, your stats are still slightly below the average for most entrants, meaning that your interview has to be that much better to make up for the difference. That could also explain why you have been struggling, since you need to ACE the interviews, not just do ok.

I was in a similar situation as you but after my masters. I highly recommend a course-based MPH program as it gives you a chance to raise your GPA and learn more about determinants of health. If that isn't an option then it certainly can't hurt... I mean what's two years instead of getting in next year in the grand scheme of things??? During that time you can soft prepare for the next two years and then go in with all the new knowledge you will obtain.

I think I posted my story somewhere on the success stories thread. You can see for yourself what some people do to prepare.

Best wishes and keep on fighting for your dreams

- G

• 2 weeks later...

Something else. Unless you are considering academia as a career I wouldn't bother with thesis based grad school to bide my time waiting for Med to come around (which is exactly what I did). Look at one year diplomas or certificates. Mac you can leave your MSc after first yr but this is easier said than done as it's harder to leave supervisor once you've committed.

Hey everyone! I'm looking for some advice here on whether I should do a masters program I've been accepted to.

I applied within Ontario last year and got interviews with UofT/McMaster/Western, but unfortunately was only waitlisted by Western and it's highly unlikely they'll make it to me given my position in the list. I'm now debating whether or not to accept an offer for a two-year research-based masters program, which would take me out of the running for many schools this year, or to find an alternative plan and reapply in the upcoming cycle.

My stats right now are:

GPA: 3.85 (wGPA depends on school, but are all 3.90+)

MCAT: 9P/11V/12B

Experience: RA in 4 labs (1000+ hours total, lots of experience with participants and clients, but no publications unfortunately), did a 4th year thesis, medical first responder, hospital volunteer, senior home volunteer, special needs camp volunteer. Was also a first-year orientation leader, a residence marketing advisory board member, a tutor with Students Offering Support, and a student mentor in university. Also did a bunch of other stuff like intramurals, summer softball, and music bands throughout the years.

Given the fact that I've been able to get interviews at multiple schools but haven't received good news from any of them, I'm inclined to say interviews are something I have to improve on. I could also improve on my ECs from a research/publication standpoint, so a masters would certainly benefit me in that regard. Plus, the research I'll be doing is something that interests me. However, the end goal is to get into medicine (the sooner the better), and I'm wary of having to write the new MCAT, since my scores will only be valid for this year. 

So, is it worth it to do the masters, or would another plan be more beneficial? Any help is greatly appreciated  :)

I considered a similar scenario when I was waiting to hear back, and this is how it shakes out in my view: Unless you're really passionate about the research you'd be doing and you want that Master's for its own sake, it's probably not worth it for a pub or two. You got interviews (you have the GPA and the MCAT down), like you said, all that's left is interview practice; so maybe you would benefit from taking an easy year and BUFFing up your ABS a little, practicing a lot and applying again right away! You can probably even find research work at a lab and work on pubs without doing a master's if you feel that would really benefit you, but I suspect it won't make a big difference (unless the Master's project you turning down has exceptional potential).

Archived