Premed 101 Forums

How Do U Select References?

How do you select references for Canadian Schools?

1. Can you reuse a reference if you dont get in or do they have to rewrite a reference? Does OMSAS send a special package to the person you indicate as a reference?

2. Do you need a personal statement for Canadian schools? I know UofT asks for one. how about ottawa or mcmaster etc?

Many thanks!

Each school is different. You need to read the OMSAS Booklet or the individual online sites of each school, e.g., McGill. LORs need to be written during the year of the application. Ideally, a prof would be a reference as he can compare you to other undergrads in regard to your suitability for med with greater credibility than an employer or volunteer supervisor. 

Barring any special restrictions schools may have that I can't remember, I would go with 2 academic references + 1 community reference or vice versa (probably 2 academic). Once you enter in your reference's contact info, OMSAS generates a PDF form for each reference that needs to be printed out, filled out, and mailed back to OMSAS.

As suggested above I would make sure to carefully read each school's requirements. I personally used three former employers (one of which had also been my prof). Looking back, it probably would have been best to diversify, although the jobs I had were very different and so spoke to the diverse experiences I had. I still got in though, so I guess it must have been all right. I mostly selected people I knew would give me stellar references and whom I knew cared about me and my future endeavors.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I always assumed that at least in Ontario, the references really aren't that impactful. If anything, they are used a flags for freakishly incompetent/psychopathic people.

this seems to generally hold true, except for U of T. U of T explicitly presents hypothetical situations in which a single reference letter makes or breaks an application. http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/Undergraduate+Medicine+Education+MD+Program/Admissions$!2c+Awards$!2c+$!26+Financial+Services+Office/Considerations+for+unsuccessful+applicants.pdf, Case studies 2, 4, and especially 5.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I always assumed that at least in Ontario, the references really aren't that impactful. If anything, they are used a flags for freakishly incompetent/psychopathic people.

Some schools use them in their pre-interview grades/weight. And it's not just UofT.

Each school is different. You need to read the OMSAS Booklet or the individual online sites of each school, e.g., McGill. LORs need to be written during the year of the application. Ideally, a prof would be a reference as he can compare you to other undergrads in regard to your suitability for med with greater credibility than an employer or volunteer supervisor.

False! I had 2 community references from experiences where I was a volunteer. And one academic research reference. So it doesn't matter. For Toronto you need to make sure your 3 references cover their 4 clusters. It is not about the title but about whether they can write you a great reference letter that can attest to your skills and competencies. Every one is different so choose the 3 people that could write a strong well written letter that truly represents who you are!

Archived