Premed 101 Forums

Pt/ot Accepted/ Rejected 2016

Applied: U of T, McMaster, Queen's
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA: ~3.6

subGPA: 3.9
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Over 100 hrs work experience in a physio clinic, 3 years volunteering as a peer counsellor, 2 years research experience, varsity athlete. Hopefully my references are good! I'm also still finishing up my anatomy&physiology prerequisite so hoping to get that done by April. Good luck to everyone applying this year!

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I applied to UBC OT last year and didn't make it due to my gpa (upper div. Gpa of 3.5). I am applying again this year. After retakig my lowest marks I'm hoping to be granted an interview. I am retakig more courses this semester as well in case I need to apply for a third time. I cannot travel out of BC for family reasons so I hope my time for the program comes soon !

Applied:UBC (OT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA:3.4

subGPA:3.69

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: strong references, I think a decent essay, 3,500 hours working as a support worker/behavioral interventionist for children on the autism spectrum as well as for children with other developmental delays, 70 volunteer hours with canucks autism network, certified yoga teacher

honestly keep pushing for OT! The job prospect is phenomenal. Talking to recent graduates, current OTs and other professionals, the job demand for OT will just be increasing which is really good. Taking an extra term to apply again will be worth it! 

I'll be applying next year as well. with a sub-gpa: 3.87-3.89 hopefully.

Best of luck! 

Second time applying, just missed out last year so went back for a semester to boost my GPA.

Applied: MacMaster, UofT, Queen's, U of Alberta
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA: 3.26

subGPA: 3.82
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Pretty confident in my essays and references with my experiences and great relationship with my referees. Volunteered/Worked 5000+ hours over the past four years as a Kinesiologist/Physio Assistant in different Physiotherapist clinics working directly with Physiotherapists. Lots of volunteering within my community and local schools as well.

Of course none of these things matter if my GPA is not good enough so fingers crossed its above the cut off this year !!

Second time applying, just missed out last year so went back for a semester to boost my GPA.

Applied: MacMaster, UofT, Queen's, U of Alberta

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA: 3.26

subGPA: 3.82

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Pretty confident in my essays and references with my experiences and great relationship with my referees. Volunteered/Worked 5000+ hours over the past four years as a Kinesiologist/Physio Assistant in different Physiotherapist clinics working directly with Physiotherapists. Lots of volunteering within my community and local schools as well.

Of course none of these things matter if my GPA is not good enough so fingers crossed its above the cut off this year !!

Where are you from?

Applied: Western, Queens, U of T, McMaster

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA: 3.2

subGPA: 3.71
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Really good references from research supervisor and course professor. Swimming instructor for 5+ years, and volunteering at hospital with OT's and PT's. Not sure if my GPA is high enough though, hope I make the cut off! Anyone know what the GPA cutoff for U of T was last year? 

Applied: Queen's
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA: >3.0

subGPA: 3.57
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

Essay/experience. I have 6 months of volunteering experience with a Physiotherapist. I also have 1 year experience of working as a Physician Assistant at a medical centre with over 1000+ hours. And I have 2 and a half years of experience in research. I have done research with Health SickKids and at McMaster University. Plus 6months of volunteer at fundraising 

Do you guys think I have a chance at Queen's? :( I have only applied to Queen's and I feel like my gpa is too low! 

And does anyone know if Queen's has a certain grade requirement for their prereqs :( 

Applied: Western, Queens, U of T, McMaster

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA: 3.2

subGPA: 3.71

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Really good references from research supervisor and course professor. Swimming instructor for 5+ years, and volunteering at hospital with OT's and PT's. Not sure if my GPA is high enough though, hope I make the cut off! Anyone know what the GPA cutoff for U of T was last year?

I'm in OT at U of T and they told us they used a cut off of 3.7 initially, although people with lower GPAs got waitlisted and eventually accepted. So your chances are good!

From my colleagues attending Queen's right now, I hear that the average incoming GPA was well over 3.80, just make sure your personal statement and the references are out of this world. As harsh that might sound, it will be worth your 100% effort.  Try to get in contact with current students of the program, they are the best sources you have.

Are you referring to sGPA or cGPA? I know that Queen's places more weight on cGPA, and 3.80 seems pretty high! Should I be concerned...?

Are you referring to sGPA or cGPA? I know that Queen's places more weight on cGPA, and 3.80 seems pretty high! Should I be concerned...?

The cut off sGPA for Queens PT was 3.65 last year meaning at least 1 student (possibly more) was accepted with a 3.65, and none below this. As seems to be the trend the cut off will likely go up this year depending if the number of applicants also rises. From what I understand you must hold a CGPA of over 2.89 (this is the only CGPA related evaluation), then the files that meet this cut off get ranked according to SGPA (highest to lowest) then a cut off is determined depending on how many files they want to reasonably screen. If anyone is interested you can check out the information video which has all of this information and more in it. https://stream.queensu.ca/Watch/Ji38Bwj5

Also, I have a friend who was accepted with a 3.76 sGPA. So if you are in the 3.7 range I believe you have a good chance, if your essays are solid and you have a decent amount of experience. All of this I've gathered from the video, its definitely worth watching.

Good luck!

The cut off sGPA for Queens PT was 3.65 last year meaning at least 1 student (possibly more) was accepted with a 3.65, and none below this. As seems to be the trend the cut off will likely go up this year depending if the number of applicants also rises. From what I understand you must hold a CGPA of over 2.89 (this is the only CGPA related evaluation), then the files that meet this cut off get ranked according to SGPA (highest to lowest) then a cut off is determined depending on how many files they want to reasonably screen. If anyone is interested you can check out the information video which has all of this information and more in it. https://stream.queensu.ca/Watch/Ji38Bwj5

Also, I have a friend who was accepted with a 3.76 sGPA. So if you are in the 3.7 range I believe you have a good chance, if your essays are solid and you have a decent amount of experience. All of this I've gathered from the video, its definitely worth watching.

Good luck!

The video provides so much information. thanks a bunch

Good luck!

Hope you are well.

I am a current second year Queens PT student. The SubGPA does not signify the lowest accepted grade. Last year, frankly, the GPA cut off was lowered in order to view even more applicants and assess their portfolios, hence even more competitive.  The average GPA of incoming first years this year was 3.847.  There were a handful with 3.9+ and others with below 3.8.  Hope this helps.

steph

Hope you are well.

I am a current second year Queens PT student. The SubGPA does not signify the lowest accepted grade. Last year, frankly, the GPA cut off was lowered in order to view even more applicants and assess their portfolios.  The average GPA of incoming first years this year was 3.847.  There were a handful with 3.9+ and others with below 3.8.  Hope this helps.

steph

Is this info provided on their website? 

OT shouldn't be used as a backup to PT or vice versa. Both are competitive programs and require passion and dedication.

Thanks for your opinion but I think people will apply to both anyways. Everyone has their reasons. I honestly, shadowed both OT and PT and I loved both. I applied to OT cos it is more along the lines of m previous work experience which I happen to enjoy. PT on the other hand was less directly related and I loved it as well. I am 25 (graduated high school at 16) and it took me so long to find what I loved and wanted to do. Do you know how happy I was to find that I had two options? I do not like to put all my eggs in one basket. BTW, I also shadowed a pharmacist and I knew it was not for me even though it is in healthcare. I want to own my own practice one day and PT makes it easier so I would probably say I have a slight preference for it. But either way am a happy camper .

I don't have to explain myself to u but I hope you will see why some of us applied to both. Besides, no one will go and cancel their OT application just because u feel this way. Good luck to us all. 

Archived