Premed 101 Forums

Pt/ot Accepted/ Rejected 2016

He everyone!

Accepted: McMaster, Western, Queens

Waitlisted : U of T ( #2 on waitlist)

I haven't decided where I want to go yet... I'm 99% going to choose McMaster but I am super nervous about the PBL. I'm more into structured letures so I'm worried it wont fit my learning style Does anyone know anything about the Western program in comparison to McMaster?

Hi, congrats on getting into McMaster, Western, and Queens! I was wondering how do you know what position you are on the waitlist for UofT?

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He everyone!

I haven't decided where I want to go yet... I'm 99% going to choose McMaster but I am super nervous about the PBL. I'm more into structured letures so I'm worried it wont fit my learning style Does anyone know anything about the Western program in comparison to McMaster?

I am assuming you are referring to OT. I am also quite torn between Western and Mac.. I am leaning towards Western because I am from the London area and I went there for my undergrad. But I don't really know the differences between the programs. I also am not a fan of the progression requirements for Western that other schools don't seem to have (you have to maintain a 75% average). I'm having a really hard time making this decision, there are strengths and weaknesses to both programs. 

He everyone!

I am assuming you are referring to OT. I am also quite torn between Western and Mac.. I am leaning towards Western because I am from the London area and I went there for my undergrad. But I don't really know the differences between the programs. I also am not a fan of the progression requirements for Western that other schools don't seem to have (you have to maintain a 75% average). I'm having a really hard time making this decision, there are strengths and weaknesses to both programs. 

I'm a current Mac OT student - and I will say, I was terrified of the PBL format entering it as well! But it ultimately was the reason I chose McMaster, and I will say it is definitely a challenge but I am 100% happy I did it! It's so practical and you really do feel more prepared for placement and real practice (and all the working with other professionals, clients, and problem-solving that goes along with it) than I think I would if I didn't have the tutorials.

For Mac OT you have to keep at least a B- average - which is like 70% I think? And there's a lot of support if you do struggle with anything.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, I hope to maybe see you guys in September, and congrats!

Does anyone have any information about Western PT not having their full accreditation right now? 

I know they will most likely get it back after the next review but this worries me! Also any idea how many students Western PT took?

I'm a current Mac OT student - and I will say, I was terrified of the PBL format entering it as well! But it ultimately was the reason I chose McMaster, and I will say it is definitely a challenge but I am 100% happy I did it! It's so practical and you really do feel more prepared for placement and real practice (and all the working with other professionals, clients, and problem-solving that goes along with it) than I think I would if I didn't have the tutorials.

For Mac OT you have to keep at least a B- average - which is like 70% I think? And there's a lot of support if you do struggle with anything.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, I hope to maybe see you guys in September, and congrats!

Thank you, that is really helpful information. 

He everyone!

Hey congratulations on the admission offers. Would you be willing to share your GPA and experiences for Queens?

GPA - 3.76

Applied: Queens, UWO, McMaster (All PT)
Rejected: Queens, McMaster
Waitlisted: UWO (upper third).

Anybody have any idea how long it might take to get the waitlist moving? I noticed they changed the number from ~100 to 182 people on the list this year, kind of worries me! 

Has anyone gotten off of the waitlist for Dal OT since Ontario schools were released? I wish I knew how many people were on it -_-

I withdrew my acceptance to Dal OT yesterday, and I read earlier in the thread that someone was accepted off the waitlist yesterday! I hope you get accepted soon!

Congratulations to everyone accepted!! To those who haven't gotten in yet - if PT or OT is really what you want, I encourage you to keep pursuing your dream! Last year I wasn't accepted anywhere and it was really tough, but I applied again and somehow received multiple acceptances to PT and OT.

I declined a few offers yesterday, so I hope those on the waitlist are contacted soon!

The forums really helped me last year when I was dealing with getting rejected, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to talk about anything related to applications.

I withdrew my acceptance to Dal OT yesterday, and I read earlier in the thread that someone was accepted off the waitlist yesterday! I hope you get accepted soon!

Thanks so much! Congrats on your acceptances and all the best to you come September!

Hey All,

Does anyone know if UofT will call people on the PT wait-list before June 3rd if people decline their offers? The email I received seems to indicate that they will only begin going down the waitlist to fill any spots after June 3rd. Just wondering if in previous years anyone has gotten a call earlier. I ask this because I am at the top of the wait-list and want to have my phone on me in case they call unexpectedly. 

Hey All,

Does anyone know if UofT will call people on the PT wait-list before June 3rd if people decline their offers? The email I received seems to indicate that they will only begin going down the waitlist to fill any spots after June 3rd. Just wondering if in previous years anyone has gotten a call earlier. I ask this because I am at the top of the wait-list and want to have my phone on me in case they call unexpectedly. 

Have you looked on last year's thread? Maybe some people posted about it. You could always call and ask next week - worst case they won't disclose the info.

I am trying to decide between Western, McMaster and Toronto for PT. Does anyone have any advice?

As someone else trying to make decisions..

Western: you're taught some manual therapy, so when you graduate you can take your level I exam rightaway

Mac: problem-based learning (could be a pro or a con based on your learning style), Hamilton isn't the greatest city..

Toronto: heavy on lectures in the beginning, strong emphasis on cardioresp

Have you looked on last year's thread? Maybe some people posted about it. You could always call and ask next week - worst case they won't disclose the info.

As someone else trying to make decisions..

Western: you're taught some manual therapy, so when you graduate you can take your level I exam rightaway

Mac: problem-based learning (could be a pro or a con based on your learning style), Hamilton isn't the greatest city..

Toronto: heavy on lectures in the beginning, strong emphasis on cardioresp

What would you say Queen's program is like? 

What would you say Queen's program is like? 

I don't know any specifics at the moment unfortunately.. I've spoken to a PT who went there and loved it, but I don't have any info other than that for now! I will be doing some research soon though, as I'm debating accepting there!

I don't know any specifics at the moment unfortunately.. I've spoken to a PT who went there and loved it, but I don't have any info other than that for now! I will be doing some research soon though, as I'm debating accepting there!

I'm actually hearing most problems from Queen's PT from about 7 current and past students :'(    Research shows Queen's consistently have the highest failure rate when it comes to the PNE and the onus is on the corrupted faculty and the teachings there.  Dilemma is such a struggle!!

Debating between Mac, Alberta and Queen's but it will most likely be Mac!!!

Archived