Premed 101 Forums

Pt/ot Accepted/ Rejected 2016

Do you happen to have a link to that research PTHope2016? I was thinking that comparing pass/fail rates on the PCE would be a half decent way of indicating how each schools curriculum prepares their students, but so far have only found information on Western's page saying 90% of 2015 graduates passed their exam.

I too have a decision to make between Manitoba, Queens, Western, and Maybe McGill (fingers crossed) and am looking for any information that might help. Has anyone heard anything about how Manitoba's program stacks up to the two Ontario ones listed above (Queens/Western)? People who have gone to Manitoba seem to like it, but I'm not sure what it's standing is nationally/internationally as they seem to reserve a the vast majority of spots for in province applicants. Like Western, it is only Partially compliant with the CPA standards while Queens is "Fully Compliant" but there doesn't seem to be any information available on what the schools who are partially compliant specifically lack. It's main knock from skimming through past years threads seems to be the thought of living in Manitoba and enduring the harsh winters, which isn't really a factor that would play into my decision as being close to family again would trump any adverse weather conditions.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice let me know and thanks for enduring that rant!

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations!What was your gpa, experience etc.? If you don't mind sharing

I had a cGPA of 3.33 and a sGPA of 3.38, which will go up after this semester.

I think I was accepted due to my experiences. I have a few publications and I hold leadership positions at a regional and national level for a student association. I also have some clinical experience working with a PT over the summer. I think what set me apart were probably the reference letters that back up my experience, as well as the wide variety of experiences that I have gained during school year.

Applied: Western, U of T, Queens, McMaster, and McGill (all PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted: Western
Rejected: U of T, McMaster, and Queens
cumGPA: 3.85

subGPA: 3.90
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I have 300+ hours in PT experience and 400+ hours in non-PT related experience.

I had 2 of my research advisers/professors as well as a PT I worked closely with (who owns their own clinic), write my letters of reference (I submitted 3 letters of reference). 

Have you looked on last year's thread? Maybe some people posted about it. You could always call and ask next week - worst case they won't disclose the info.

As someone else trying to make decisions..

Western: you're taught some manual therapy, so when you graduate you can take your level I exam rightaway

Mac: problem-based learning (could be a pro or a con based on your learning style), Hamilton isn't the greatest city..

Toronto: heavy on lectures in the beginning, strong emphasis on cardioresp

Just FYI, you take your Level 1 Manual Therapy from Toronto as well (not sure about other schools).

Applied: Dal, UofA, McMaster, & Queens (all OT)
Accepted: Dal, UofA, Queens
Waitlisted:
Rejected: McMaster (post-interview)
cGPA - 3.84

subGPA - 3.87
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I felt pretty strong with both my essays and references, I have over 8 months experience with vocational rehab.

Final decision is UofA! :)

Does anyone know if your place on a waiting list is kept if you accept an offer at another school? I know other offers would be withdrawn but do they also remove you from waiting lists? 

In terms of ORPAS schools, you can provisionally accept until June 3rd, and you'd still be on waiting lists at other schools. If you firmly accept you're removed from other waiting lists. After June 3rd provisional acceptances become firm.

This is a question for other people who have accepted Queens OT. I have activated my netid, whoever am unable to active my student email yet. However in the acceptance email is says that important information will be sent to the queens email. Just wondering if anyone has been able to get there email working ? I just don't want to miss any payment or deposit deadlines. Are there payment deadlines soon?

Thanks

Applied: McMaster & Western
Accepted: McMaster & Western
Waitlisted: 
Rejected:
cumGPA: 3.8

subGPA: 3.96
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

Trying to decide between Western & Mac right now. I'm leaning toward Mac, but I am admittedly a little intimidated by PBL--fear of the unknown ;)

Any words of advice would be so appreciated!

Anyone know if there is a facebook group for McMaster's OT Class of 2018? I will be attending there and would love to get to know fellow classmates before the start of semester :)

Are you moving from Vancouver? I'm also attending Mac and moving from Victoria :)

I was put on Dal's waitlist for OT on April 25th, just wondering if anyone knows how many people are placed on the waitlist and how much movement there's been so far. (NB Applicant)

Hey there!

I am from NB too, and was waitlisted for OT on April 22nd. You don't get to know the amount of people, or your place - so I doubt anyone else knows, unfortunately! It seems like there's been a little movement - but not much, so far from what I know. Two of my friends from my undergrad got in as NB applicants and they accepted asap, so there's two seats out of nine already gone! It sucks, because Dal was my top choice as well. I'm crossing my fingers for you, as well as for me too!

This is a question for other people who have accepted Queens OT. I have activated my netid, whoever am unable to active my student email yet. However in the acceptance email is says that important information will be sent to the queens email. Just wondering if anyone has been able to get there email working ? I just don't want to miss any payment or deposit deadlines. Are there payment deadlines soon?

Thanks

Do you mind explaining how you did this? 

Archived