Premed 101 Forums

Pt/ot Accepted/ Rejected 2016

Applied: Western, Toronto, McMaster, Queens (all PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

cumGPA: 3.86
subGPA: 3.90
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Volunteered at 3 different PT clinics, including a neurological clinic (around 200 hours). Personal trainer for 2 years working with lots of age ranges and disorders. I think my statements are my strongest aspect of my application as I worked on them for about a year and got them edited by a few current PT students. References are solid, one from a professor who I knew really well and did well in their classes and the other from my work supervisor who I have a good connection with! I have been working towards this for all of my undergrad so fingers crossed! Good luck to everybody!

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Applied:UBC PT

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA: ~3.9 (87% avg)

subGPA: ~3.9 (86% avg)
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:
Very good/relevant volunteer, but from a 4 years ago. References were good/very good, but not excellent?

I got an interview offer for UBC today at 5pm. I applied to the northern/rural cohort as I am very interested and love rural communities. The interview offer specified I was interviewing for the northern cohort and NOT the general vancouver cohort. Thoughts??  I thought I would interview for the MPT as a whole and then successful applicants would be divided.

Applied:UBC PT

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA: ~3.9 (87% avg)

subGPA: ~3.9 (86% avg)

Very good/relevant volunteer, but from a 4 years ago. References were good/very good, but not excellent?

I got an interview offer for UBC today at 5pm. I applied to the northern/rural cohort as I am very interested and love rural communities. The interview offer specified I was interviewing for the northern cohort and NOT the general vancouver cohort. Thoughts??  I thought I would interview for the MPT as a whole and then successful applicants would be divided.

Hi ricky19,

I am not entirely sure, but UBC asks the applicants to choose whether or not they want to apply to the Northern Cohort from the start. So based on that, they may have split it right from the application. I know some people didn't apply for the Northern Cohort, so the committee might have assessed each cohort individually. Since it's 60 seats to Vancouver and 20 seats to Northern Cohort (I think that's how it is divided), for the interview stage they may have chosen 120 people for those that didn't apply to the Northern Cohort and 40 people for those who did. Just my guess.

Cheers.

Hi ricky19,

I am not entirely sure, but UBC asks the applicants to choose whether or not they want to apply to the Northern Cohort from the start. So based on that, they may have split it right from the application. I know some people didn't apply for the Northern Cohort, so the committee might have assessed each cohort individually. Since it's 60 seats to Vancouver and 20 seats to Northern Cohort (I think that's how it is divided), for the interview stage they may have chosen 120 people for those that didn't apply to the Northern Cohort and 40 people for those who did. Just my guess.

Cheers.

Thanks for the insight dooli,

That could very well be a possibility. It is slightly strange as that would not be picking the overall best applicants that way. Maybe they did not have many people apply to the Northern/Rural cohort and are ensuring that the people who did apply do not have a choice for Vancouver. Another thought would be that I was right on the cutoff for the interview overall but had very good rural/northern experiences (which I did) so they are letting me just interview for that one. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

That could very well be a possibility. It is slightly strange as that would not be picking the overall best applicants that way. Maybe they did not have many people apply to the Northern/Rural cohort and are ensuring that the people who did apply do not have a choice for Vancouver. Another thought would be that I was right on the cutoff for the interview overall but had very good rural/northern experiences (which I did) so they are letting me just interview for that one. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Your points are all valid. You could always try and email to see how they went about with their selection process. However, they may not provide the information to that, but it's always worth a shot.

Cheers

I'm having trouble understanding your train of thought. You applied to the NRC, got an interview for the NRC, yet you'd rather have gotten an interview for one of the non-NRC seats?

Regarding last year's process, I don't believe there was a distinction in what group you were interviewing for, so this does sound new. That said, it really shouldn't change anything at all... If anything, it just weeds out those who apply to the NRC to have a better shot at the program (which defeats the whole purpose of the initiative).

I'm having trouble understanding your train of thought. You applied to the NRC, got an interview for the NRC, yet you'd rather have gotten an interview for one of the non-NRC seats?

Regarding last year's process, I don't believe there was a distinction in what group you were interviewing for, so this does sound new. That said, it really shouldn't change anything at all... If anything, it just weeds out those who apply to the NRC to have a better shot at the program (which defeats the whole purpose of the initiative).

Hi Mokes,

I am very happy I got an interview for NRC. I am just assuming other people who applied for NRC got an interview for NRC and Vancouver. I was just wondering if I was maybe only competitive enough for NRC and not Vancouver. Just was curious about my competitiveness going into the interview.

Applied: Queen's, McGill, UofT, Dal, Alberta (OT); McGill (PT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA: 3.33 ORPAS

subGPA: 3.38 ORPAS

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Work experience primarily in sport coaching and sports marketing with big sport organizations, 1 journal publication, 1 pending (health organization) website publication, 3 leadership positions in interprofessional clubs at both a regional and national level, competed in a national interprofessional competition, a few humanitarian and leadership experiences, interprofessional education award, ~60hrs volunteering with a physio and an above average personal statement + strong references.

Any thoughts?

Applied: OT at UBC, Alberta, McMaster, Queen's, Toronto, Western
Accepted: (interview offer from UBC)
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA: 3.73

subGPA: 3.67 (UBC - 3.72, I believe)

I have accumulated about 450 hours with a volunteer program at a hospital in Hamilton, Ontario, which is designed for elderly populations but other than this, I do not have much relevant experience other than very recent research in which I have transcribed interviews! 

I believe my references are strong- obviously, it depends on the school, as my referees differ for each application. But I have two of my referees being my senior project supervisors with whom I have taken multiple courses before that. The last of my referees is the supervisor of the recent research I mentioned above so we haven't been able to learn more about each other by the time I applied, but I'm confident she wrote a great letter for me. 

And I believe my essays were pretty strong. I believe I spent just under 2 months writing them. Since I already graduated, it was a bit easier to focus on writing and editing a ton.

I applied to UBC OT last year and didn't make it due to my gpa (upper div. Gpa of 3.5). I am applying again this year. After retakig my lowest marks I'm hoping to be granted an interview. I am retakig more courses this semester as well in case I need to apply for a third time. I cannot travel out of BC for family reasons so I hope my time for the program comes soon !

Applied:UBC (OT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA:3.4

subGPA:3.69

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: strong references, I think a decent essay, 3,500 hours working as a support worker/behavioral interventionist for children on the autism spectrum as well as for children with other developmental delays, 70 volunteer hours with canucks autism network, certified yoga teacher

Ah ! Rejected again. It is so competitive. I am feeling pretty defeated but I will continue to upgrade and reapply. I think I will apply to UOA next year as well, I just need a stats course. I should have a 3.75 after this semester, and then I will take more courses in the fall.

So disappointed

Applied: OT at UBC, Alberta, McMaster, Queen's, Toronto, Western

Accepted: (interview offer from UBC)

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

cumGPA: 3.72

subGPA: 3.67

I have accumulated about 450 hours with a volunteer program at a hospital in Hamilton, Ontario, which is designed for elderly populations but other than this, I do not have much relevant experience other than very recent research in which I have transcribed interviews! 

I believe my references are strong- obviously, it depends on the school, as my referees differ for each application. But I have two of my referees being my senior project supervisors with whom I have taken multiple courses before that. The last of my referees is the supervisor of the recent research I mentioned above so we haven't been able to learn more about each other by the time I applied, but I'm confident she wrote a great letter for me. 

And I believe my essays were pretty strong. I believe I spent just under 2 months writing them. Since I already graduated, it was a bit easier to focus on writing and editing a ton.

I was just wondering if your interview for UBC is for the OT program ? (Congratulations on it !!). I've talked to the UBC admissions before and they told me that in order to receive an interview it is strictly GPA and then once you get an interview they look at everything else. Do you know if this is correct? I assume it is because an admissions person told me, but I am just curious as I was not granted an interview and my gpa is just slightly higher than yours. Do you have any insight?

Congratulations again and best of luck !!

Oh no ! I actually calculated my gpa wrong, I thought I had a 3.69 but UBC would have calculated it to be 3.63. If you had an interview with a 3.67 then I just missed it ! Ahh ! Pulling my hair out.

I'll will just keep trying. Good luck to everyone :)

Hi, OT2015-,

Thank you!  :) Good luck to you as well!

I can see you have been pushing hard to get into UBC. Best of luck to you!  :lol:

I realized that UBC calculates subGPA differently than Ontario's ORPAS, which doesn't put research courses into the subGPA.

I apologize about this!

My subGPA for UBC, I believe, is 3.72 (reflected in the edit above).

I should mention that I'm from Ontario although I'm not too sure if OOP influences acceptance.

Applied: Western, McMaster, Toronto, UBC (All PT) 

Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected: UBC (no interview) 
cumGPA: 3.48

subGPA: 3.82
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: 493 hours of physiotherapy experience, 3 volunteer positions for the last year and a half and a part time job for 6 years. Should have strong reference letters also. Currently attending an American school. 

Hi Mokes,

I am very happy I got an interview for NRC. I am just assuming other people who applied for NRC got an interview for NRC and Vancouver. I was just wondering if I was maybe only competitive enough for NRC and not Vancouver. Just was curious about my competitiveness going into the interview.

Nope, I have confirmed two friends interviewing got Vancouver only interviews(didnt apply NRC), with lower GPAs.

They must have used the references(especially the one relating to rehab work/volunteer experience) in a more relevant manner this year and not just GPA. 

hey guys, does anyone know if the schools will still accept you if you have to take a school in summer school (ends june 24th) to be considered a graduate?

it states  on all the websites that your final term to be considered a grad should be winter aka finish you last exam by april. if you have courses outstanding after this, you automatically do not qualify as an applicant. So I would say no you would not be accepted. Hope this makes sense.

PS: Did you apply already? you can PM me if you have any more questions 

hey guys, does anyone know if the schools will still accept you if you have to take a school in summer school (ends june 24th) to be considered a graduate?

it states  on all the websites that your final term to be considered a grad should be winter aka finish you last exam by april. if you have courses outstanding after this, you automatically do not qualify as an applicant. So I would say no you would not be accepted. Hope this makes sense.

PS: Did you apply already? you can PM me if you have any more questions 

For which schools? Most require prerequisites (and any other credits) to be completed by June 30th.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding the websites? Western doesn't require prereqs to be done until August. Here is a link: http://www.uwo.ca/fhs/pt/programs/mpt/admission.html (go to "Additional Information").  I'm currently completing an online course that doesn't finish until June 30 but am aiming to finish it early so grades are marked on time.  I asked schools during info sessions and they said that its fine as long as they get their paperwork. I would suggest completing it earlier though, because they need to receive transcripts by that date. So I would contact the school as soon as your course is done on June 24th and make sure they get sent in on time.  If anyone wants more links, PM me!

Applied: Western, U of T, Queens, McMaster, and McGill (all PT)
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
cumGPA: 3.85

subGPA: 3.90
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I think I was strong in my essay and experiences. I have 300+ hours in PT experience and 400+ hours in non-PT related experience (which plays to my qualities that are important for PT) which make my application strong. I had 2 of my research advisers/professors as well as a PT I worked closely with, write my letters of reference (I submitted 3 letters of reference). 

For which schools? Most require prerequisites (and any other credits) to be completed by June 30th.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding the websites? Western doesn't require prereqs to be done until August. Here is a link: http://www.uwo.ca/fhs/pt/programs/mpt/admission.html (go to "Additional Information").  I'm currently completing an online course that doesn't finish until June 30 but am aiming to finish it early so grades are marked on time.  I asked schools during info sessions and they said that its fine as long as they get their paperwork. I would suggest completing it earlier though, because they need to receive transcripts by that date. So I would contact the school as soon as your course is done on June 24th and make sure they get sent in on time.  If anyone wants more links, PM me!

Oh yh. u are right about western. they also said the prerequisite courses should be in progress by the january deadline. At my university, you cannot register for spring courses till at least march meaning it will not be in progress by the january deadline. I do not know about your school. I was just assuming that it was the same in all schools. Online courses allow you to choose your end date but I do not believe Rehabsciapply has that option. Certainly if he/she has that option, she should definitely speed up her finish time. 

I  got an invite at  9 am to attend an interview from University of Manitoba OT program. Anyone else received an email for interview?

i got one at 8:44 am but i didn't see it until later today so only the 9 am and 3 pm slots were available, and i went with the 3 pm one.  do you think time slot makes a difference?  do interviewers get tired by the end or something like that? :/

Archived