Premed 101 Forums

Is There No Summer After Second Year Now?

Check the attached file and scroll to the end. Having a long summer after first year and a semi long break after second year were factors in me choosing this school. 

In advance: I might be totally wrong here. I think we 2019ers will get 2 weeks according to page 9 of this 

http://cr.med.ubc.ca/files/2014/10/FOM-MDUP-CR-Full-Senate-Proposal-Approved.pdf

Geez

document.pdf

if theres only 2 weeks of 2nd year summer, how do people fit in summer research in this time?? 

Can you only realistically have a summer project in 1st year then? 

Doesn't look like you can anymore. My friends did summer research projects both years and I think they had 6-7 weeks the second time

Doesn't look like you can anymore. My friends did summer research projects both years and I think they had 6-7 weeks the second time

yeah there is just no way with that amount of time. Interesting change!

did they give a reason for the new policy?

I'm not attending UBC, but I did contact the Curriculum people when considering.

Apparently, it's a shorter second year summer but then they add ~6 weeks of summer in 3rd year (while no other schools get a summer in 3rd year). There are also 3-4 week dedicated FLEX times each year where you can pursue research or other scholarly activities that whole time.

While very different than the past, those changes were actually really intriguing to me when considering UBC!

I'm not attending UBC, but I did contact the Curriculum people when considering.

Apparently, it's a shorter second year summer but then they add ~6 weeks of summer in 3rd year (while no other schools get a summer in 3rd year). There are also 3-4 week dedicated FLEX times each year where you can pursue research or other scholarly activities that whole time.

While very different than the past, those changes were actually really intriguing to me when considering UBC!

that is kind of interesting! the 3rd year summer probably helps with CARMS prep.

It's not just UBC. A few schools in Ontario are talking about reducing 2nd year summer and adding some weeks vacation into third year summer.

It's not just UBC. A few schools in Ontario are talking about reducing 2nd year summer and adding some weeks vacation into third year summer.

you know I don't think that is actually that bad of an idea. I mean you probably don't need a 12 week break between 2nd and 3rd year as much as you need well as much as you can get between 3rd and 4th. You have CARMS, electives to prepare for, and of course clerkship is vastly more exhausting than 2nd year. Plus if you change you mind as to the specialty you would actually have time to do something about it in that summer break.

you know I don't think that is actually that bad of an idea. I mean you probably don't need a 12 week break between 2nd and 3rd year as much as you need well as much as you can get between 3rd and 4th. You have CARMS, electives to prepare for, and of course clerkship is vastly more exhausting than 2nd year. Plus if you change you mind as to the specialty you would actually have time to do something about it in that summer break.

What preparations do you really need to (or can) do for CARMS? Getting your letter of recommendations in order?

What preparations do you really need to (or can) do for CARMS? Getting your letter of recommendations in order?

For starters it takes a long time to actually prepare all of the letters for each school, absolutely perfect your CV, and to make sure you have all the paperwork each school wants submitted perfectly. You can afford no mistakes of course, and in theory each school's letter has to be individualized for maximum impact.

Next you often have to study like crazy to actually make sure when you get there you are in top form. You may have done say your rotation in field X early in clerkship - so you are sure you are actually interested in it for real as it were. Well that was 9 months ago and you probably aren't as sharp as you could be. You need to be as sharp as you can be though - all the marbles are on the table. Ha, it's go time. If someone asks you a question on elective you better get it right.

Then there is arranging all the travel plans, and preping your current home for the trip etc.

In theory you may also have some research to wrap up or some other project.

For some fields all this is less stressful - maybe most of your electives are close by or even at your home school. For competitive specialties you probably have to just do what every you have to in order to max your chances.

I believe the change has been initiated as a way to prepare for the Accreditation review occurring next year. I've heard that they received some recommendations to change the program for a few years now, so it's finally happening.

in order to accomplish what? :)

Archived