Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill English Courses

sheepdog

Hi there,

Was wondering if any past / current McGill students can recommend the best and easiest english classes to take? I am a science student and am only taking this as a pre req for medical school.

I have heard CEAP 250 is good, any recommendations on best prof as well?

Thanks so much :)

I took ENGL 230 a few years back with Hurley, she was good and marked essays fairly easy but the class exam grades were bad (a strike forced the prof to have a multiple choice exam, which was really not conducive to the material– imagine verbal reasoning, except you have to memorize the passages beforehand). I wouldn't recommend it that enthusiastically. ENGL 201 was the opposite: tough grades on essays but an easy multiple choice final. Good reading list too. If you can take it with Popescu, I'd say go for it.

I took ENGL 230 a few years back with Hurley, she was good and marked essays fairly easy but the class exam grades were bad (a strike forced the prof to have a multiple choice exam, which was really not conducive to the material– imagine verbal reasoning, except you have to memorize the passages beforehand). I wouldn't recommend it that enthusiastically. ENGL 201 was the opposite: tough grades on essays but an easy multiple choice final. Good reading list too. If you can take it with Popescu, I'd say go for it.

ENG 230 is the theatre one right? Do med schools accept this easily? thanks for your response :)

ENG 230 is the theatre one right? Do med schools accept this easily? thanks for your response :)

You're right. I didn't apply to schools with English pre reqs, but It's not a standard literature survey or critical writing course, so you'd have to check it out with each school you apply to. I think the safest combo for pre-reqs is CEAP 250 for writing and ENGL 201 for literature survey.

Archived