Premed 101 Forums

Summer Courses The Summer Before Application

Hey all,

I'm taking a summer course right now and I wanted to know if I could include the grade in my OMSAS application for McMaster this year. Has anyone done this or is it generally that transcripts are submitted by the TRF through OMSAS while summer courses are still in progress and don't get calculated?

Thanks.

I took a course in the summer of 2014 (so right before/during the last cycle) and had no issues with OMSAS, since the deadline for submission was in October. If I remember correctly, I think receipt of the TRF by the deadline was sufficient, it didn't have to be the transcripts themselves. Not sure if that's the same this cycle, but in any case, there should be sufficient time for grades to be updated for summer courses before the OMSAS deadline. 

My grade wasn't updated in time for some of the other institutions though, like Dal and even UBC's early deadline I think. I just contacted the admissions team and they told me to send them as soon as the grade was updated. 

If you're concerned, I would suggest just contacting the admissions team and see what they say. 

I took a course in the summer of 2014 (so right before/during the last cycle) and had no issues with OMSAS, since the deadline for submission was in October. If I remember correctly, I think receipt of the TRF by the deadline was sufficient, it didn't have to be the transcripts themselves. Not sure if that's the same this cycle, but in any case, there should be sufficient time for grades to be updated for summer courses before the OMSAS deadline. 

My grade wasn't updated in time for some of the other institutions though, like Dal and even UBC's early deadline I think. I just contacted the admissions team and they told me to send them as soon as the grade was updated. 

If you're concerned, I would suggest just contacting the admissions team and see what they say. 

Does this mean for the 2015-2016 application cycle, UBC will include summer courses taken in summer of 2015 for the academic average (AQ)? On their website, it states that: "Summer courses from the year of application are not included in the academic evaluation. Courses from previous summers are included in the applicable average calculations." That would mean that there was no need to update the grade for UBC.

Does this mean for the 2015-2016 application cycle, UBC will include summer courses taken in summer of 2015 for the academic average (AQ)? On their website, it states that: "Summer courses from the year of application are not included in the academic evaluation. Courses from previous summers are included in the applicable average calculations." That would mean that there was no need to update the grade for UBC.

The summer course I was taking was to fulfill one of their pre-reqs. Sorry, should've been more clear before! :) 

I'm not sure if they went ahead and included it in my pre-req GPA? Either way, I decided to contact them just to be on the safe side, and was asked to send it in. 

As for the current cycle, definitely go by the website, it's after all the official source. 

Okay so if I submit it it before I have a grade, my grade won't count and if I submit it after I have the grade, then my grade will count?

i.e. I can choose whether or not to include that grade in my cGPA?

Or is it that even if I submit TRF now, it will later be updated automatically when I get a grade?

Thanks.

Okay so if I submit it it before I have a grade, my grade won't count and if I submit it after I have the grade, then my grade will count?

Or is it that even if I submit TRF now, it will later be updated automatically when I get a grade?

Thanks.

I don't think you get a choice, you'll have to submit your transcript(s) regardless. If the summer course is from your home institution, it should show up with the rest of your grades. I guess if you submit it now, it would show up as "in progress". If you're taking it at another university, you have to submit one from that university along with your home institution transcripts. 

I'm not sure if it gets automatically updated. I personally just waited till my summer course was over and the grade had been updated before submitting my TRF. 

Thanks.

I would do anything you can to make sure it gets submitted with you application, because who wants to risk anything in this process right?

Archived