Premed 101 Forums

Omsas Incompletes

For my first degree I have one year with a 3.97 GPA, and then in my second year I had to drop out (but before the drop deadline) so I have a bunch of Ws on my transcript. After I entered them as "Inc" on OMSAS instead of not counting the grade it counted it as a 0 and dropped my GPA to a 2.86 for that school. I know each institution has their own calculation, but I don't remember that happening last year, it seems to be treating them as a fail. Is this normally what happens? Surely the schools I'm applying to won't treat them as a 0/4.0 for my cGPA, right?

Withdrawn courses are not the same as "Incomplete" courses. If you withdrew without academic penalty, then you should not declare the course on the OMSAS application at all. That is, don't enter the course code, the term— nada. OMSAS treats courses withdrawn w/o penalty as if applicants were never enrolled in them. 

As per OUAC FAQ see (https://www.ouac.on.ca/faq/academic-record-withdrawn-course/):  

"Q: When completing my academic record, how do I treat a withdrawn course?

A: If you withdrew without academic penalty (i.e., you withdrew within the stated deadlines), do not enter the course at all.

If you were assigned a penalty (i.e., the course shows on your transcript with a “fail” or “incomplete” notation), you should enter the course with a failing grade."

Archived