Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts On Addressing Aq/academic Marks: Unclassified Courses, Second Degree, Graduate?

I guess this topic would pertain especially well to those on the lower end of the GPA scale:

What are people's thoughts on how to address low AQ scores, especially if you've already completed 120+ credits and have a degree? At this point, marks are fairly set in stone; however, one still has the opportunity to hopefully address this albeit to what extent is up to the individual. 

There are a few ways to go about this: 

1. taking additional courses post-undergrad, as an unclassified student.

2. go into a second undergraduate/second major 

3. going into a graduate program, taking yourself out of running for at least 1 application cycle, but coming out on the other end with (a) a graduate degree (b ) higher marks

Pros and cons to each approach? Stories about doing one or the other, finding success, etc?

I guess this topic would pertain especially well to those on the lower end of the GPA scale:

What are people's thoughts on how to address low AQ scores, especially if you've already completed 120+ credits and have a degree? At this point, marks are fairly set in stone; however, one still has the opportunity to hopefully address this albeit to what extent is up to the individual. 

There are a few ways to go about this: 

1. taking additional courses post-undergrad, as an unclassified student.

2. go into a second undergraduate/second major 

3. going into a graduate program, taking yourself out of running for at least 1 application cycle, but coming out on the other end with (a) a graduate degree (b ) higher marks

Pros and cons to each approach? Stories about doing one or the other, finding success, etc?

I can only comment on #3 because I did a graduate degree. It can be helpful to do a course-based graduate degree if you work really hard and make sure you keep on top of the course material. It can also help extra-curricular wise (i.e. co-op opportunities if you do a project based masters, research productivity if you do a thesis based masters). Overall, I would say my masters helped in both respects, while helping me grow both personally and professionally. 

However, the consensus seems to be that doing a fifth year or a second undergraduate degree is typically more effective for enhancing GPA. This makes sense, as you can choose to do an easier undergraduate degree that will not be nearly as time consuming as graduate degree level work. 

I took option 1, and took extra courses to get my GPA up, and let my NAQ luckily get me to the interview stage.

Grad program won't help much to get you to the interview stage, if GPA is more limiting. It will have other benefits of potentially improving NAQ and providing a different path if med doesn't work out.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am hesitant about taking the graduate degree route - I know my heart wouldn't be into it, and would only be using it as a stepping stone. That, in addition to the fact that I'll be taken out of at least one application cycle should I choose to do it that way.

Gohan - thanks for sharing and congrats on your admittance. Do you think that taking extra courses as an unclassified student might be frowned upon from an admission committee standpoint, i.e. "only taking classes to boost marks...." etc? 

I have always wondered about students taking courses as an unclassified student.

It says on UBC's FAQ page their feelings about it....

"Generally, we do not recommend repeating courses to improve your overall GPA. Students who enroll in unclassified, non-degree programs for the sole purpose of improving their academic qualifications are advised that only a small proportion of such candidates gain admission."

???

I have always wondered about students taking courses as an unclassified student.

It says on UBC's FAQ page their feelings about it....

"Generally, we do not recommend repeating courses to improve your overall GPA. Students who enroll in unclassified, non-degree programs for the sole purpose of improving their academic qualifications are advised that only a small proportion of such candidates gain admission."

???

I think that is because taking a few courses as an unclassified students after completed 120 credits is probably not going to make a significant difference to your GPA. People who take several courses as an unclassified student and, as a result, experience a large increase in GPA will benefit just like anyone else who increases their GPA through other means (i.e. second/graduate degree). That's just my thoughts though. 

I think that is because taking a few courses as an unclassified students after completed 120 credits is probably not going to make a significant difference to your GPA. People who take several courses as an unclassified student and, as a result, experience a large increase in GPA will benefit just like anyone else who increases their GPA through other means (i.e. second/graduate degree). That's just my thoughts though.

Agreed, I know a handful of peers that will also be matriculating and have matriculated in the past that have took extra courses to improve GPA to get to the interview level.

To get to the interview GPA is just plugged into a formula, there is no subjectivness at that point. What happens after interview, no one knows. I don't think they would penalize someone for getting As to improve GPA, unless it's obvious you're only taking 100 lol bird courses etc

Agreed, I know a handful of peers that will also be matriculating and have matriculated in the past that have took extra courses to improve GPA to get to the interview level.

To get to the interview GPA is just plugged into a formula, there is no subjectivness at that point. What happens after interview, no one knows. I don't think they would penalize someone for getting As to improve GPA, unless it's obvious you're only taking 100 lol bird courses etc

Yep, I agree that extra courses to improve GPA is a good idea-- GPA is king. However, I highly doubt they even check on which courses are bird courses, etc. GPA formula = objective result, go from there.

Besides, some of the best bird courses (past IHHS courses) are the most relevant to medicine... 200 (Social Determinants of Health), 300 (International Health), 400 (Healthcare Teams), 411 (Violence Across the Lifespan). Really good courses for marks and for health care knowledge and background.

Yep, I agree that extra courses to improve GPA is a good idea-- GPA is king. However, I highly doubt they even check on which courses are bird courses, etc. GPA formula = objective result, go from there.

Besides, some of the best bird courses (past IHHS courses) are the most relevant to medicine... 200 (Social Determinants of Health), 300 (International Health), 400 (Healthcare Teams), 411 (Violence Across the Lifespan). Really good courses for marks and for health care knowledge and background.

I never had early enough registration to get into IHHS classes, seems like only the ones with high enough GPAs could get in- further boosting their GPAs :P Kinda was jealous at the time seeing such minimal work, interesting content and high averages!

I never had early enough registration to get into IHHS classes, seems like only the ones with high enough GPAs could get in- further boosting their GPAs :P Kinda was jealous at the time seeing such minimal work, interesting content and high averages!

It's really interesting that UBC rewards its high GPA students with earlier registration times for sure, you're right, further boosting their GPA. At other schools like Western, it's just all randomized regardless of previous year's GPA.

It's really interesting that UBC rewards its high GPA students with earlier registration times for sure, you're right, further boosting their GPA. At other schools like Western, it's just all randomized regardless of previous year's GPA.

Ah yes, it's very interesting haha. Those who do well in first year can get an edge in picking the best/easiest profs and courses. Ah well, wouldn't change a thing in retrospect anyways :)

that's very interesting...I didn't interpret THAT way,

I was more interpreting it as .."don't take unclassified courses because people who do take courses as an unclassified student, don't usually get in".  rather than the fact that a few courses won't really increase a student's GPA over 4 years

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Really put a perspective on how I've been approaching addressing my low AQ scores. I graduated in May 2014 with a less-than-stellar average and have been trying to address it since. Took 11 courses (holy crap.....) as an unclassified student this past year and am hoping and wishing that it can help me get to that interview stage. 

Similarly to bclionsfan, I was scared that going with this approach might look bad from an admissions committee standpoint, and their comment on unclassified courses on the website really terrified me haha - however, you guys have made me realize that GPA is GPA. I went through most of my undergrad not knowing what courses to take to make up for courses I didn't do so well in... making my best attempt to rectify that now. 

If anyone is interested in "bird" courses, send me a PM and I can definitely give you some pointers. Unfortunately IHHS is no longer being offered (shame I never got into 200...), but there are other - and very interesting - options. 

that's very interesting...I didn't interpret THAT way,

I was more interpreting it as .."don't take unclassified courses because people who do take courses as an unclassified student, don't usually get in".  rather than the fact that a few courses won't really increase a student's GPA over 4 years

I understand. I felt the same way. But after reading these forums for awhile, I've noticed that a lot of people who took unclassified studies have gotten in. 

just my two cents... I went with the theory that if I was going to take extra classes past my degree, they would count towards something on its own. That way if I did not make it in I would have covered my ass and still move me toward some carer in the medical field.  My practicums also stacked my NAQ as I knew my AQ was not strong enough on it's own. 

Cheers and good luck. 

one_more_time, did you end up doing a grad program then? 

No - I did a medical radiography diploma.  It was obvious for me due to the number of credits i had, that extra credits were not going to change my GPA much, so I focused on maxing out my NAQ (practicums = over 1 year full time in hospital)  while getting great grades to prove that I could even though they didn't get factored into the calculation. I think a lot of people forget how far a great NAQ will get you. 

Ah yes, it's very interesting haha. Those who do well in first year can get an edge in picking the best/easiest profs and courses. Ah well, wouldn't change a thing in retrospect anyways :)

Actually, it doesn't really work that way. 2nd years have the last registration time so you won't be able to get it nonetheless. IHHS courses will never be available past the 4th year registration time. So it would only 'reward' the highest GPA's in 4th year. In which case, makes perfect sense to allow graduating students to take courses they desire (since it is their last opportunity). I took IHHS courses and gotta say that it was an interesting class, but the marking scheme was so bad that people were blatantly using it as a GPA booster, not even coming to the classes...

Actually, it doesn't really work that way. 2nd years have the last registration time so you won't be able to get it nonetheless. IHHS courses will never be available past the 4th year registration time. So it would only 'reward' the highest GPA's in 4th year. In which case, makes perfect sense to allow graduating students to take courses they desire (since it is their last opportunity). I took IHHS courses and gotta say that it was an interesting class, but the marking scheme was so bad that people were blatantly using it as a GPA booster, not even coming to the classes...

Ah yes, good point my mistake! Yeah, a friend of mine took almost all the ihhs classes and it's crazy how easy some of them were, and how little work you could get away with and still get 90s.

• 4 months later...

In regards to your friends who made it to the interview stage: Would you mind if I ask what their GPA was before they took extra courses and what it was after they improved it? 

sub 80 to low 80s. If you have under 150credits, then you should be able to meaningfully move your GPA up with each 4.0 in a class. So why not, if thats whats limiting you.

For those wondering, and are at UBC: with an OGPA of ~83% in approx 140 credits, a 92% in a 3.0 credit class bumps you up by ~0.2%. Take it for what it's worth, but 5 A+'s and you're up 1% (obviously the weight may change depending on how much each course is worth credit-wise and what your overall average/credit load is). 

For those wondering, and are at UBC: with an OGPA of ~83% in approx 140 credits, a 92% in a 3.0 credit class bumps you up by ~0.2%. Take it for what it's worth, but 5 A+'s and you're up 1% (obviously the weight may change depending on how much each course is worth credit-wise and what your overall average/credit load is). 

Doing a year of full load would be worth it for the boost, and as well help make one competitive for other schools (best 2 year programs etc)

I took option 1, and took extra courses to get my GPA up, and let my NAQ luckily get me to the interview stage.

Grad program won't help much to get you to the interview stage, if GPA is more limiting. It will have other benefits of potentially improving NAQ and providing a different path if med doesn't work out.

Any specific courses you recommend?

I did the master's route but I was legitimately interested in getting the degree I chose. I can understand not wanting to pursue a degree you are not invested in. But I personally was more interested in doing that than just taking more undergrad courses. It is a personal decision and is a tough call. I felt the master's was a better route because at least if med didn't work out than you come out with another degree instead of a couple years of more undergrad courses that can hopefully lead to a job. I think always having a back up plan is necessary when applying as it is so competitive.

Or perhaps pursuing a second professional bachelors is also a good idea. That is just my opinion though. Some second bachelors degrees that are one to two years are nursing, social work and/or education. I think the benefit of this is that it gives you one to two years to bump the GPA and than you can begin working and making money while still applying. I know a handful of people that have done this.  

Another option depending on your GPA is to just try to bump up your NAQ as much as possible. As you can see on the forum it is possible to get an interview with low-80s if you have a high NAQ. 

Archived