Premed 101 Forums

American Vs. Canadian Med Schools

Allme

I live in Canada and am really serious about going to med school, however I know it is very hard to be accepted in Canada. I'm thinking about also applying to American med schools. Would my chances be better if I applied to American med schools or is it the same amount of competition as applying to med school in Canada? Please help, thanks!

American schools are more hollistic and typically don't have as crazy GPA/MCAT cutoffs as some Canadian schools. For example, Harvard and Yale's average MCAT for matriculation is 36, where as the average person interviewed Out of Province at Manitoba this year was a 39. That being said, you're at a disadvantage as an international applicant (though some schools treat you the same as an Out of State American Applicant) because of regional quotas. If you have the money, time, and patience, then by all means cast out a big net and apply broadly. If you're applying to the US, you're pretty late this year though, unless you have killer stats (3.9+ GPA or 36+ MCAT). If you're applying on day one next year in early June, you should have a pretty good shot with 3.7+ GPA and 34+ MCAT with decent ECs (particularly clinical ones). 

Some Canadian-friendly schools to consider: Wayne State, Case Western, University of Michigan, New York Medical College, NYU, Dartmouth, Rosalind Franklin, Saint Louis University, University of Kentucky, George Washington, Georgetown, Jefferson, Oakland, and most top tier private schools (Harvard, Yale, WashU St. Louis, Northwestern, etc.)

Archived