Premed 101 Forums

Scared To Go Back To School...?

Hey everyone! So I am kind of concerned... I have been out of the classroom since about grade 9, I did pretty much all of my high school online. Doing school at home makes me feel more comfortable, which is why I want to do a life science degree online through Queen's.. its kind of a comfort place for me. I am concerned though because my plan is to go to medical school, and I know you can't do that online. What would some of you suggest? Should I maybe do the life science degree in the classroom? I've considered that. Now that I am an adult, I don't struggle with the anxiety I had back in grade 9, and I had just lost my father 2 months prior to starting high school, and also battled and still battle depression so it was very hard on me. Now that years have passed, I've healed from it, it just seems like a big step to integrate back into the classroom, but becoming a doctor is my dream, so really whatever it takes, I will do.  Just wondering what some of your suggestions are? Thanks everyone!

- Mandy. :)

Go for classroom. Interaction with people is always good and an essential life skill.. Especially as a Doctor. Going to class you will share ideas, engage in conservations with others, and open your mind to new experiences!

Keep on rocking!

start off online, try to take 1 class in-person, then slowly after every semester or every year, increase the number of in-class courses.

Best of luck, you've made it this far and I can't imagine how difficult it must have been losing a parent. 

If anything, all of this will make you even a better physician one day!

I'm glad to hear you're doing better!

I would personally agree with spa. I know it'll be hard at first but try to face the classroom head on. If it helps, the first day is overwhelming for everyone. University is a big change from high school so students with more traditional high school experiences than yours will often still experience a large culture shock. There are also many many services in all universities to help students with the transition. Don't hesitate to take advantage of these!

I would recommend developing a solid plan before you start. Even if you don't follow it exactly, it will help guide your path and ensure your time is spent in the most valuable way possible. It could also be something to fall back on during inevitable tough times ahead.

I'm concerned that going straight into all in person classes may prove to be too much of a shock just because university is a time of transition for everyone. I think the safest route is to start out with 1 in person class and the rest online, then slowly add more in person classes as you advance through each successful semester.

I think you've received some fantastic advice and I wish you luck with it.

For what it's worth, I also did some of my earlier schooling online and can honestly say that university has been an absolutely wonderful experience in general. It has had it's bumps, but has been an ongoing goal to help keep me oriented. Going back to school has been one of the best decisions of my life and I hope it turns out that way for you too.

Aww thank you everyone you are so sweet! I think the best thing to do would to be slowly integrating back into things, like some of you were mentioning, maybe starting out taking 1 course in the classroom. My whole worry is starting medical school, and being completely overwhelmed. I hope that despite the losses i've experienced, with my father and also my grandmother which I forgot to mention (who was like a mother to me, and I took care of her for 4 years when she had cancer, which is why I want to get in to medicine) hopefully will make me a better physcian. I want to be a doctor for the reason of helping people, so they don't have to go through what I did, and of course a lot of other reasons as well.

Thanks again everyone :)

- Mandy

Hey there!

Just some input from someone in Life Sciences at Queen's if you're interested:

A lot of the first year science classes involve a decent amount of class participation in tutorials BUT the lectures are so big that no one is really expected to answer questions or anything. So it might actually be helpful to take traditional courses involving tutorials online, but try to go to one or two classes per week that are just lectures. It will get you used to the university setting without having to deal with the anxiety of being expected to talk in front of lots of people.

Also, I have dealt with pretty severe anxiety & depression the last couple years, and I have found the mental health services at Queen's to be fantastic (and covered under the AMS student health plan). Idk if that's reassuring, but just something else to consider! :)

Thats awesome! Can you do that in the life science program, even if you are doing it online? I'm glad to hear that they have good mental health services.. sometimes my depression gets really bad, and I'm glad that there is help available. Question.. did you do courses before going into the life sciences, or did you come from high school or something? Just wondering :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived