Premed 101 Forums

Did Anyone Give Up On Med For A While Before Going Back To It?

I was all eager to get going on this path in first year and started off well (3.96 GPA) but in second year I was taking some philosophy courses that I really struggled with, and ended up having an academic crisis after realizing I couldn't keep up med school calibre grades and I dropped out. After that I took some time off to travel and pretty much gave up on pursuing medicine. A couple years went by and I decided to come back to university and began a Nursing degree, but after my clinical placements I realized something was missing and medicine was what I wanted after all. I switched into Biology, and after three years I now have a good deal of research experience, physician shadowing, lots of mentoring-type volunteer work, a competitive GPA and MCAT and I'm definitely set up to make it work in North America sooner or later.

So yes, people can definitely come back to it, even after some struggles and crippling self-doubt :)

Yes. I started university in 2005 but had to withdraw pretty much immediately because my financial support fell out from under me and I couldn't access any loans due to my parents' income (but they weren't supporting me.) Within a year, I was married and expecting my first child. I was pretty sure my chances of ever getting into med school were done. I knew that teen parenthood doesn't usually correlate to success in life.

I was still hoping to go back to school as soon as possible but doubted it would be possible. We got by, barely. For a couple years I stayed home to work on my son's autism therapies, and we had our second during that time.

When my son started kindergarten, I finally started university properly. Wrote my MCAT after first year, got a 34, and I applied after my second year. Two interviews, one acceptance. My daughter is starting kindergarten this fall, just a couple weeks after I start med school. It worked out well. :)

Came in first year so hyped and focused 247 "medicine medicine medicine" - lol. I was a 18 year old fresh out of the house without any world experience.

Second year hits and I started considering other careers like law/investment banking because I went through a major family economic crisis (it was so bad that I didn't have money for food for 2 weeks and ate only rice for 2 weeks solid) - I realized I was it in for the money. But I didn't give up fully. I just hated my degree (biology + bchem minor). Absolutely hated it. Had no passion for it. So I almost dropped out into finance, but didn't because I didn't want to repeat everything from year 1 again.

Third year.. saved a life. Loved what I did. Knew what to do. Knew this is the path and the money and financial security will follow.

I was all eager to get going on this path in first year and started off well (3.96 GPA) but in second year I was taking some philosophy courses that I really struggled with, and ended up having an academic crisis after realizing I couldn't keep up med school calibre grades and I dropped out. After that I took some time off to travel and pretty much gave up on pursuing medicine. A couple years went by and I decided to come back to university and began a Nursing degree, but after my clinical placements I realized something was missing and medicine was what I wanted after all. I switched into Biology, and after three years I now have a good deal of research experience, physician shadowing, lots of mentoring-type volunteer work, a competitive GPA and MCAT and I'm definitely set up to make it work in North America sooner or later.

So yes, people can definitely come back to it, even after some struggles and crippling self-doubt :)

The question remains, are you a serial killer?

Archived