Premed 101 Forums

Description In Abs

Hey guys, just wanted some input on this:

Should we be describing more of the skills that we learnt in our ECs or descriptions on what we did + skills gained? Should it be 50/50 detail + skills or focus more on the skills gained?

So far I have minor descriptions ~80-90 characters and the rest being skills that I improved/developed etc. and tried to tie in some CanMED competencies.

Would love any input - have sent my ABS to a few and some say that this works fine and some say to focus more on the skills developed while putting more of the detail into the entry heading itself, not sure if there is a better or more accepted option but I am open to any advice/opinion

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with people who say to focus on the skills gained. Most of the time, file reviewers can figure out what your responsibilities were from the title of the entry.

Hey guys, just wanted some input on this:

Should we be describing more of the skills that we learnt in our ECs or descriptions on what we did + skills gained? Should it be 50/50 detail + skills or focus more on the skills gained?

So far I have minor descriptions ~80-90 characters and the rest being skills that I improved/developed etc. and tried to tie in some CanMED competencies.

Would love any input - have sent my ABS to a few and some say that this works fine and some say to focus more on the skills developed while putting more of the detail into the entry heading itself, not sure if there is a better or more accepted option but I am open to any advice/opinion

Cheers!

Intersting, so focus on skills developed/learned.

What about impact achieved? For ex. if you were an exec on some group/campus club, what'd you achieve or what did you change? Or does that sound too pompous? (I've worked in finance before so I don't want to be talking about what I did or "achieved" on a med app the way brokers do!!). 

Re finance, you demonstrated critical thinking/problem solving/analysis, communication skills. :P

Hahaha! :P

I had also meant that, in light of advice being given to applicants to focus on skills learned  as opposed to a simple listing of tasks performed, does one/should one focus on impact achieved (ex. what GOOD or what success your involvement brought to the organization). Does that make sense? I'm not being flippant, I really don't know these things lol. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have no clue how to use canmeds competencies for 150 characters either, especially when you are supposed to explain what the activity was about.

Or are you supposed to explain what you learned?

I thought you were supposed to focus on what impact/results were achieved (ex. you were student leader in club abc, this is what you managed to do as student leader: blah blah blah).

Does anyone by chance have an example of an abs for a volunteer or leadeship activity that they dont mind sharing?

I have no clue how to use canmeds competencies for 150 characters either, especially when you are supposed to explain what the activity was about.

Or are you supposed to explain what you learned?

I thought you were supposed to focus on what impact/results were achieved

Yea would it be wise to focus on what you DID or what you learned? What results you got or what your job description was? I'm so confused as well :(.

I think it should be a mixture of both. I would avoid describing what you did if it's obvious from your title. For example, if you're a soccer coach, then you don't necessarily have to describe the obvious, such as "taught soccer skills" etc. It would be better to explain what you learned and what impact it had on you. However, if your title is "Research Assistant" for example, then you should briefly describe what you did, as this title is not as obvious. 

I'm not sure how to incorporate "why" you did the activity however. 

Archived