Premed 101 Forums

What Do You Do If You Don't Match?

Please tell me that's for academic positions, not for run of the mill community jobs.

There are tons of arthroplasty jobs posted right now. That being said, cities like Ottawa and Toronto are asking for a minimum of 2 fellowships and a PhD, but that's not the case in other, smaller centres. It's a sellers market right now.

I know of ppl who managed to easily find community Orthopaedics jobs. The broader your scope, the easier it is.

There are tons of arthroplasty jobs posted right now. That being said, cities like Ottawa and Toronto are asking for a minimum of 2 fellowships and a PhD, but that's not the case in other, smaller centres. It's a sellers market right now.

I know of ppl who managed to easily find community Orthopaedics jobs. The broader your scope, the easier it is.

We must know different people.  The orthopods I talk to say that the only jobs out there at the moment are of the "cover evenings and weekends, get 1/2 a day of OR time every two weeks, and the established docs keep all the total joints" variety.  Rumors of lots of graduates going to the States.

All anecdotal, of course.

Since medical school tends to attract personalities who catastrophize any event that is less than absolutely perfect, let me offer some belated reassurance to those who didn't match.   A handful of people in my year didn't match, and all of them are doing well professionally.

We must know different people.  The orthopods I talk to say that the only jobs out there at the moment are of the "cover evenings and weekends, get 1/2 a day of OR time every two weeks, and the established docs keep all the total joints" variety.  Rumors of lots of graduates going to the States.

All anecdotal, of course.

Go rural/semi-rural, and away from Ontario & Québec.

Go rural/semi-rural, and away from Ontario & Québec.

I know three orthopods who got jobs with one fellowship. One in Southern Ontario community, one in community practice on the east coast and one in community in Alberta. Did any of those jobs require fellowship level training? Probably not since they are all supplying basic ortho services. But they finished a couple years ago so maybe it was worse then.

2 fellowships and a PhD is insane. Just completely insane.

Hope this is a sign of the market starting to open up a bit.

I know three orthopods who got jobs with one fellowship. One in Southern Ontario community, one in community practice on the east coast and one in community in Alberta. Did any of those jobs require fellowship level training? Probably not since they are all supplying basic ortho services. But they finished a couple years ago so maybe it was worse then.

2 fellowships and a PhD is insane. Just completely insane.

Hope this is a sign of the market starting to open up a bit.

It's doable. Stick to the general, community-friendly specialities... I hope you enjoy hip and knee replacements :) And Tibial plateau fractures :)

Archived