Premed 101 Forums

Afmc Student Portal For Electives

So I just finished my preclerkship and since my electives takes place before my cores, I'm in disadvantaged position where I'm restricted in booking certain electives (for example, family elective doesn't usually have pre-req in other schools like Mac or U of T but western REQUIRES THAT YOU FINISH THE CORE, before my e-mail the prereq section stated 'any equivalent subspecialty or longitudinal...' but once I e-mailed with lits of my electives/cores I would have taken before the start of elective to confirm my eligibility they changed it to that- except windsor family med... they have different standards apparently? ).

I've been looking up at Western because I thought it would be nice to do electives there and boy it is so frustrating.

I tried to work out elective with Western before (my colleagues worked out their electives with different schools (UT, UBC to name a few) and it worked out for them... they had preceptors that agreed for their electives, as I did as well - except only at western I wasn't allowed even though my school would recognize as electives and my preceptor endorsed me, the western elective office denied my application)

Fast forward, they started implementing AFMC student portal and I've been using that and I had questions about availablility (my electives does not take place during the 'popular period' which is March break and summer) and I talked to department and they didn't have a student who has applied for that position, so I appliy promptly and first my application is denied and then cancelled.

I ask few questions to Jen Foxcroft - elective person from Western and I get a very, very angry e-mail from her which makes me think that she would probably deny all my application from this point.

Her e-mails made me think that she is personally vindictive and have a sad, sad life so she had to take it out on students?? .

I've called her once too, and I was even willing to visit her in person to ask questions (I was visiting Lonodn at that time) and she says "we don't take phone calls. only e-mails. Do not call us."

Are all elective office in medical school like this? I am CMG but I'm not from Ontario.

I haven't had problems with other elective offices so I'm wondering if this is a normal thing that we should expect as a medical students or is it reasonable to send a formal letter of complaint.

If you had similar experience with Jen, please share or is there any other person we can approach regarding electives at western - because it seems there's only one person processing elective application and it is her. Thanks.

I have not had a similar experience at Western, but I can assure you that not all elective offices are like this. I have generally had very good experiences and a few electives admin have, in my opinion, gone beyond what I would have expected to get me an elective. However, I don't know how the portal changes things.

Her e-mails made me think that she is personally vindictive and have a sad, sad life so she had to take it out on students?? .

Are you serious.... lmao. Pretty good way to get yourself banned from Western as your post contains enough personal identifiers. Smile at the bottom of the first page: http://imgur.com/2S1t0AA

I haven't had the best experience so far although I am applying for Emerg which I imagine to be popular and I am still waiting for notifications from Queen's and Dal 7 weeks later. Plan back-ups at your home school and apply broadly.

Archived