Premed 101 Forums

New Wgpa Cut-Off For Ottawa Residents

To clarify, no difference between In-Province Ottawa and In-Province Out-of-Ottawa (i.e. both are 3.85 wGPA cutoff)?

YES. If you go on their website. Under excellence of marks categories. Before there used to be a separate category for in province ottawa and in province out of Ottawa. NOW It is just ONE category. When you email or call admissions to ask for ottawa cutoff they will tell you 3.85.

YES. If you go on their website. Under excellence of marks categories. Before there used to be a separate category for in province ottawa and in province out of Ottawa. NOW It is just ONE category. When you email or call admissions to ask for ottawa cutoff they will tell you 3.85.

I hope no one moved to Ottawa last year. Also for this reason.

Well this was pretty inevitable. At one point or another they had to raise the GPA cut-off, especially if you consider that GPA is their only way to measure academic excellence. Hopefully, one day the MCAT will be translated in French, and UOttawa will use it.

unlikely I suppose as it is an American test - I do find it interesting how much we still depend on them for licensing and testing.

Hardly anyone ever gets an interview below 3.90 wgpa this won't make any difference, surprised they kept the facade of a 3.7 in-ottawa cutoff going for this long.

It's not a facade. I know many people in recent years who got into UofO, being from Ottawa, and having GPAs in the 3.7s.

It's not a facade. I know many people in recent years who got into UofO, being from Ottawa, and having GPAs in the 3.7s.

yeah so do I actually as well - I mean people don't advertise their GPA when it is a bit on the lower side but that advantage in Ottawa WAS real. Anything that gets you to an interview is a powerful asset to have and while the GPA may have been used in some ranking post it did help you get there in the first place. That was powerful.

yeah so do I actually as well - I mean people don't advertise their GPA when it is a bit on the lower side but that advantage in Ottawa WAS real. Anything that gets you to an interview is a powerful asset to have and while the GPA may have been used in some ranking post it did help you get there in the first place. That was powerful.

Agreed. Of all the changes to admission to be made, this one actually seems a bit drastic to me. Did that many people really apply from Ottawa that they needed to increase the GPA cutoff by 0.15? It's a large increase in wGPA.

According to the Afmc admissions pdf for 2014/2015, "the mean grade point average of successful applicants in 2013/14 was 3.91". I think with the rise of the average GPA that is full-file reviewed (also it is known that once you pass your respective wGPA cutoff, you are in the same pool as everyone else for interview selection), that this is because 1) GPA will be valued slightly less, and 2) CASPer will factor in quite a bit towards the overall pre-interview composite score. If that's the case, that is a step in the right direction (that GPA is still king but non-academic aspects are becoming more and more emphasized) to provide a more holistic review of candidates.

Hope that logic makes sense?

I think this adjusment is fair - others may disagree, but I think all Ontarians should be looked at equally, I mean like why should those specifically from Ottawa have 0.15 less wGPA.... What I am saying is a 3.7 cutoff is very different from 3.85 - every point counts.

It may be hard to cope with at first but this puts all Ontarians on an equal playing field - I just dont think the different wGPAs was fair in the first place. Of course people from Ottawa will likely disagree with me.

Nevertheless, this is a drastic change that I feel should have been at least mentioned throughout the years based ln admission statistics

I think this adjusment is fair - others may disagree, but I think all Ontarians should be looked at equally, I mean like why should those specifically from Ottawa have 0.15 less wGPA.... What I am saying is a 3.7 cutoff is very different from 3.85 - every point counts.

It may be hard to cope with at first but this puts all Ontarians on an equal playing field - I just dont think the different wGPAs was fair in the first place. Of course people from Ottawa will likely disagree with me.

Nevertheless, this is a drastic change that I feel should have been at least mentioned throughout the years based ln admission statistics

oh the difference is obviously unfair - and there are a lot of similar policies elsewhere that are equally unfair. It is (or rather pretty much) equally unfair that people that lived in Ottawa didn't have the same access to doctors than other places (basically TO) because people were not staying. Same with a lot of other parts on Ontario.

the government always has to be balance all these unfair policies vs unfair situations - never easy of course. Often premeds and trainees further along often get stuck with some unfair policy to them to correct a broader social issue. Politics is messy :)

The good news is that gap is much less of a problem in Ottawa as it has been so the policy probably has less need. Plus there are a lot of very high GPA candidates from Ottawa anyway

Archived