Premed 101 Forums

How Honest Should You Be In The Interview ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I am asked about a sensitive topic in the interview ......... let's say abortion .......... if you are an obstetrician and a pregnant female came in and wanted to have an abortion, what would you do ?

Currently, abortion is legal in Canada ........ any woman who is less than 22 weeks pregnant can have an abortion ...... I know this.

Now let's say I am against abortion ....... and of course my opinion is against the law.

Now there are 2 ways I can answer this question:

1. Simply lie ........ just say hay I am okay with abortion and I will do it ........ but the problem of this approach is that I won't be able to defend it very well and the interviewer may be suspicious that I am lying.

2. Be honest ........... explain to the interviewer why I am against abortion and so I won't do it ......... and tell the interviewer that I would refer the patient to a colleague ......... the advantage of this approach is that I am honest so I will be able to defend my opinion very well ........but of course the major problem with this approach is that I might be red-flagged by the adcom .......... 

Of course I know that trying to influence the patient's decision and talking to her about why I am against abortion will NEVER be an acceptable answer in the interview and will definitely get me red-flagged 100% ........... and I really do believe in that a doctor should not impose his own beliefs on a patient in anything that doesn't affect the patient's health .......... a doctor's job is to give medical advice only to the patient.

So what do you guys think ?

Note: this is NOT a discussion about abortion.

This is a discussion about what to do when you are in a situation in the interview where you have to choose between speaking your mind or just saying what you think the adcom wants to hear.

It could be abortion, homosexuality, anything.

I need to get into med school first ........ I can change the world later :)

According to me you should speak what you think is right and act according to your mind. In case you think it is not good and you cannot do it for patients just leave them because patients not left alone if you declined than they can contact to other doctors.

This was too relevant to the discussion here not to share it.

https://www.**DELETED**.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/comments/3gx3rg/i_went_to_a_new_obgyn_today_im_still_crying/

Visit the link to read about a young woman's unpleasant experience with an OBGYN.

Disgraceful. Just shows where "honesty" leads if not kept in check by professional ethics and behaviours.

I doubt whether the doctor here spoke his mind during med interviews. And he/she obviously did not learn enough in med school. 

Archived