Premed 101 Forums

Tuition Payments

I'm glad for it as well. My student loan is disbursed in two payments - federal in September, provincial in January - so I'd rather not have to put most of my tuition on my LOC unnecessarily even temporarily. No sense paying interest if I don't have to! Also good because we'll find out in November which bursaries, if any, we will be receiving.

All around a better system. I think.

Unless mac has changed their policy, they do charge interest on unpaid tuition (as of last year). They have not given the upper years info with regards to tuition payments yet, so it is possible that their policy has been changed. However, if the interest policy remains unchanged, their interest rate is much higher than the line of credit. So it is advisable to pay fully via line of credit  (and OSAP if you are getting it).

Unless mac has changed their policy, they do charge interest on unpaid tuition (as of last year). They have not given the upper years info with regards to tuition payments yet, so it is possible that their policy has been changed. However, if the interest policy remains unchanged, their interest rate is much higher than the line of credit. So it is advisable to pay fully via line of credit  (and OSAP if you are getting it).

Looking on Mosaic, it appears that they did indeed switch to a pay per semester system. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

It has changed this year. You can now pay in 3 instalments without penalties.

• The first payment is due September 1st (September 15th if you are receiving OSAP) - $9,631.15
  • The second payment is due January 1, 2016 (January 15th if you are receiving OSAP) - $8,685.21
  • The third payment is due May 1, 2016 (May 15th if you are receiving OSAP) - $8,685.21

That's about $27K. That makes McMaster the most expensive medical school per year in Canada. Here's what other schools roughly pay: http://www.ivyglobal.ca/mcat/med_schools_canada.asp

• The first payment is due September 1st (September 15th if you are receiving OSAP) - $9,631.15
  • The second payment is due January 1, 2016 (January 15th if you are receiving OSAP) - $8,685.21
  • The third payment is due May 1, 2016 (May 15th if you are receiving OSAP) - $8,685.21
That's about $27K. That makes McMaster the most expensive medical school per year in Canada. Here's what other schools roughly pay: http://www.ivyglobal.ca/mcat/med_schools_canada.asp

Most expensive only because you're paying for 3 semesters rather than 2, as with most schools. Without the 3rd semester it'd be ~19k, which is lower than most med schools

Most expensive only because you're paying for 3 semesters rather than 2, as with most schools. Without the 3rd semester it'd be ~19k, which is lower than most med schools

Yeah, that's part of it. Being a 3 yr curriculum and situated within the province of Ontario, makes the school expensive. Calgary on the other hand is $15.5K. Alberta $12K.

• The first payment is due September 1st (September 15th if you are receiving OSAP) - $9,631.15
  • The second payment is due January 1, 2016 (January 15th if you are receiving OSAP) - $8,685.21
  • The third payment is due May 1, 2016 (May 15th if you are receiving OSAP) - $8,685.21

That's about $27K. That makes McMaster the most expensive medical school per year in Canada. Here's what other schools roughly pay: http://www.ivyglobal.ca/mcat/med_schools_canada.asp

One year closer to an attendings salary though. "Time is money".

Yeah, that's part of it. Being a 3 yr curriculum and situated within the province of Ontario, makes the school expensive. Calgary on the other hand is $15.5K. Alberta $12K.

Well thats because Alberta's government subsidizes more. Whether or not they can continue to afford to do that is interesting though with oil this weak.

Archived