Premed 101 Forums

Gargantuan Upward Trend

DTmed

Hello fellow hopefuls, 

I have a very unusual GPA trend that I can explain is due to financial problems in my early UG (first 3 years) but I changed my focus for the last two years and was determined to finish strong. However, I am not sure if I will be competitive enough to be invited or accepted into any Canadian medical schools. I am aware of the B2Y/R2Y schools, but I still feel inadequate. 

GPA

Y1: 1.8

Y2: 2.07

Y3: 2.75

Y4: 3.93

Y5: 3.87

MCAT

13/11/13

ECs

- ER volunteer 400 hrs 

- Research ( no pubs) -150 hrs

- leadership position in social issues group 

- crisis and distress centre volunteer 500 hrs

- campus emergency first responder - 360 hrs 

I just want to know how the premed community feels about my application and how I would be able to improve my chances. Thanks 

Kudos on that upward trend, that's seriously impressive! Your 2Y GPA looks good and your MCAT is *really* good, so based on stats alone you'll get an interview at Western, unless they bump up their verbal cutoff or you have really heinous reference letters or something. Dal will depend on the quality of your essays IIRC, and nobody knows how Queens evaluates ECs but from what you posted here I think it's worth a shot. Good luck in your apps, I hope things work out well for you!

Kudos on that upward trend, that's seriously impressive! Your 2Y GPA looks good and your MCAT is *really* good, so based on stats alone you'll get an interview at Western, unless they bump up their verbal cutoff or you have really heinous reference letters or something. Dal will depend on the quality of your essays IIRC, and nobody knows how Queens evaluates ECs but from what you posted here I think it's worth a shot. Good luck in your apps, I hope things work out well for you!

Thanks for the insight on Dal and Queens, and hopefully I make it :D

Cater your app to schools that you are shining at, super MCAT- give it a go! You may stand a shot at some USMD schools too with your upward trend and 37 MCAT. Canada should be an option though, add Saskatchewan if you meet the 83% minimum...might be hard to reach that but dont know your breakdown and if sask drops lowest year or not

Cater your app to schools that you are shining at, super MCAT- give it a go! You may stand a shot at some USMD schools too with your upward trend and 37 MCAT. Canada should be an option though, add Saskatchewan if you meet the 83% minimum...might be hard to reach that but dont know your breakdown and if sask drops lowest year or not

Thanks for the advice , so far im looking at : western, queens, dal, sask . Any others I should consider , and im not sure how friendly USMD schools are to canadians and the schools I heard are friendly are "super hard to get into" private schools. 

Archived